Adapting your home

Website maintenance

Due to essential maintenance work, our website may be offline for a few minutes on Monday 26 June between 10pm and midnight. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

If you're registered disabled and want to adapt your home (to make it easier to live independently) you can arrange an occupational therapy assessment via our Customer Access and Assessment Team.

Following your assessment, our Housing Standards and Adaptations Team will determine whether the work you want to carry out is reasonable and practical.

There are 2 types of home adaptions:

  • minor adaptations which include rails, half-steps, door entry systems
  • major adaptations which are larger alterations including ramps, stair lifts, through floor lifts, level access showers, widening of paths or doors

Cost of adapting your home

If deemed reasonable and practical, minor and major adaptations within council homes are free.

A 'means tested' Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) may be available to fund major adaptations for:

  • homeowners
  • housing association tenants
  • private tenants

However, you may need to contribute to the cost of works.

Grants cannot be paid retrospectively, so a grant must be approved before work starts.

Adaptions for self-funding homeowners

If you're a homeowner and decide to fund adaptions yourself, you can find a list of traders (vetted by the police, City of York Trading Standards and Age UK York) through the Home Services Directory.

Further information

See the BeIndependent website for information on their equipment loan service, which provides simple aids to daily living for disabled people, people recovering from surgery, elderly people and their carers to support lifelong independence.

Also see

Comment on this page
Back to the top of the page