Take a look at our current employment opportunities to see what part you could play in the future of our great city.
All about us
Working for us is more than just a job. A career in Local Government provides unique opportunities to make a real difference to our communities, with a diversity of roles which can't be matched.
We are responsible for a range of initiatives in the local area:
- ensuring our streets and neighbourhoods are clean and safe
- caring for and supporting our most vulnerable citizens
- complex projects to transform the way people live and work in our beautiful city
What matters to us
It’s really important to us that we have capable, confident people, working positively for York. Being a part of the council means we don’t just want to be proud of what we do, we also want to celebrate how we do it.
That's why we all share a set of values to help guide what we do and how we engage with our communities, our residents and each other.
Our 3 core values are:
- we work together
- we improve
- we make a difference
We appreciate that our employees are at the heart of our service delivery and that everyone who works at the council plays an equal part in our success. So it’s up to all of us to bring our values to life, working together to improve and make a difference.
We encourage applications from people at all stages of their career, and in particular we welcome applications from under-represented groups.
How we support you
We want our people to thrive and grow, and to feel valued and supported as they do so.
Annual Personal Development Reviews and regular one-to-ones with your manager will keep you on track with your objectives and give you a chance to discuss your own development needs.
We are committed to making sure all our employees receive the best learning and development opportunities to help deliver excellent services to the people of York. Our comprehensive training will equip you with both the technical and the soft skills that you will need to perform at your best.
If you are in the early stages of your career, or are looking for a career change, then we are keen to support your development.
We offer a variety of apprenticeships at the council and we offer summer and winter graduate internships through the city’s universities.
Whilst we don’t currently offer a dedicated graduate programme, we have a variety of roles which would be a great place to start out. You might also want to consider registering with WorkwithYork to gain valuable experience in temporary or interim roles.
You can find out more by following the links below:
- benefits of working for us including flexible working, sick pay, holiday entitlement, pensions and our commitment to staff development
- equality and diversity in recruitment is important to us. We are committed to making our recruitment policies accessible and responsive to the people and communities of York
- we're proud to be a Disability Confident Employer which supports fair recruitment practices, and to be one of thousands of businesses who is removing barriers to disabled people in employment and benefitting from their skills
- iTrent gives employees access to our HR self-service system
- view current job vacancies at the council; join our casual work recruitment pool, and register for our job updates