Take a look at our current opportunities to see what part you could play in the future of our great city.
All about us
Download a copy of 'All about us' to find out more about 'what we do' and 'how we do it'.
Working for us is more than just a job. A career in Local Government provides unique opportunities to make a real difference to our communities, with a diversity of roles which can't be matched.
We are responsible for a range of initiatives in the local area:
- ensuring our streets and neighbourhoods are clean and safe
- caring for and supporting our most vulnerable citizens
- complex projects to transform the way people live and work in our beautiful city
What matters to us
It’s really important to us that we have capable, confident people, working positively for York.
How we do all these things matters, so our values set out what you can expect from us:
- we work together as a team for the benefit of York and its people
- we listen, learn and strive to improve in all we do
- we encourage respect and treat each other fairly and equally
- we are open to challenge and embrace change
We appreciate that our employees are at the heart of service delivery and that everyone who works at the council plays an equal part in our success. So it’s up to all of us to bring to life our values, sharing responsibility and improving the way we work together.
We encourage applications from people at all stages of their career, and in particular welcome applications from under-represented groups.
How we support you
We want our people to thrive and grow, and to feel valued and supported as they do so.
Annual Personal Development Reviews and regular 1-2-1's with your manager will keep you on track with your objectives and are your chance to discuss your own development needs.
We are committed to making sure all our employees receive the right learning and development opportunities to help deliver excellent services to the people of York. Our comprehensive training offer will equip you with the both the technical and the soft skills that you will need to perform at your best.
If you are in the early stages of your career, or are looking for a career change, then we are keen to support your development.
We offer a variety of apprenticeships at the council and we offer summer and winter graduate internships through the city’s universities.
Whilst we don’t currently offer a dedicated graduate programme, we have a variety of roles which would be a great place to start out. You might also want to consider registering with WORKwithYORK@CYT to gain valuable experience in temporary or interim roles.
You can find out more by following the links below:
- benefits of working for us including flexible working, sick pay, holiday entitlement, pensions and our commitment to staff development.
- equality and diversity in recruitment is important to us. We are committed to making our recruitment policies accessible and responsive to the people and communities of York.
- iTrent gives access to our HR self-service system for employees.
- view current job vacancies at the council; join our casual work recruitment pool, and register for our job updates.
- City of York Council jobs
- Jobs, training and volunteering
- How to apply for a job with us