Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a single monthly payment for the unemployed or those on a low income, paid by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

Universal Credit includes help with living costs and help with housing costs.

Universal Credit has replaced 6 benefits for new working age claimants and existing claimants who have had a change of circumstances:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit

If you are already claiming one of these 6 benefits you should get benefits advice before making a claim for Universal Credit.

Claim Universal Credit

If you're a tenant, your Universal Credit payment will include an amount for your rent payment - but remember that you're responsible for paying rent to your landlord.

If you’re a homeowner, you might be able to get help towards interest payments on:

  • your mortgage
  • loans you’ve taken out for certain repairs and improvements to your home

This help is called Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI).

Making a claim for Council Tax Support

You can claim Council Tax Support for help with paying Council Tax. Universal Credit is separate from Council Tax Support.

If you receive Universal Credit and pay council tax, you'll need to claim Council Tax Support separately or pay your council tax in full.

Changes in circumstances for current benefit claimants

Let us know about a change in circumstances if you're currently receiving Housing Benefit.

You may need to claim Universal Credit instead of Housing Benefit if any of the following apply to you:

  • you start a new job
  • you stop working or your working hours are reduced
  • you're signed off sick
  • you become a jobseeker after a period of sickness
  • your household becomes responsible for a child for the first time
  • you and your partner separate
  • you're a lone parent and a child under 5 permanently leaves your household

Also see

Benefits and Contributions Advisors

West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

Telephone: 01904 552044