York Financial Assistance Scheme (YFAS) provides help to local people in financial difficulties due to exceptional circumstances.

They offer two types of assistance:

  • Emergency Assistance for a disaster or crisis
  • Community Assistance to help with exceptional pressures or financial difficulty

What YFAS can provide

YFAS can provide:

  • goods
  • services
  • gas and electricity top-ups
  • supermarket vouchers

They only make emergency cash available in exceptional circumstances, when they're unable to provide direct assistance.

They only award items on the basis of need - for example, they could only provide a carpet if you have a baby or toddler who's crawling.

Before making a YFAS application

Check whether you're eligible for emergency assistance from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) before applying for YFAS support:

See more information about Benefits.

Make a YFAS application

Download the YFAS factsheet and YFAS criteria before making a YFAS application.

You'll need to list your income and expenses to make your application - use these Citizens Advice resources to help with this:

complete an online YFAS form

Upload a completed budget sheet (as a PDF) to support your application.

You can send your budget sheet separately to YFAS (if you prefer), either:

  • via our Benefits Section (not Citizen's Advice), or
  • by email to yfas@york.gov.uk

Alternatively, telephone: 0808 168 5238 (free from a landline).

Also see

Comment on this page