Coronavirus and YFAS support
YFAS Emergency Assistance is available to people who are struggling with finances due to coronavirus.
See further information about coronavirus and YFAS support.
York Financial Assistance Scheme (YFAS) provides help to local people in financial difficulties due to exceptional circumstances.
They offer two types of assistance:
- Emergency Assistance for a disaster or crisis
- Community Assistance to help with exceptional pressures or financial difficulties
What YFAS can provide
YFAS can provide:
- gas and electricity top-ups
- supermarket vouchers
They only make emergency cash available in exceptional circumstances, when they're unable to provide direct assistance.
They only award items on the basis of need - for example, they could only provide a carpet if you have a baby or toddler who's crawling.
Before making a YFAS application
Check whether you're eligible for emergency assistance from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) before applying for YFAS support.
- applying for an advance if you’re waiting for your first benefit payment
- applying for a budgeting loan to help pay for essential items if you're already claiming benefits
Make a YFAS application
Download the YFAS factsheet and YFAS criteria before making your YFAS application:
Use these Citizens Advice resources to help you list your income and expenses for your application:
Upload your completed budget sheet (as a PDF) to support your application.
You can send your budget sheet separately to YFAS (if you prefer), either:
- via our Benefits Section (not Citizen's Advice), or
- by email to email@example.com
Alternatively, telephone: 0808 168 5238 (free from a landline).