Parents/carers of children attending a school (not a college) in York can apply for free school meals and the Pupil Premium online or complete an Educational Benefits application form.
When we process your application, we'll:
- use your details to check your child's eligibility for free school meals by checking information held by the Department for Work and Pensions and the Department for Education; this quick online check means we can often confirm eligibility immediately
- write to you asking for proof of benefit if necessary - all proofs must be dated within the last 3 months (or for tax credits, the current financial year) and clearly state your entitlement to a qualifying benefit
- not be able to return original proofs to you, so you should only send copies
- process your application within 10 working days of receiving it
- write to you to informing you of the outcome
- inform your child's school of their eligibility
How we use your data
We'll use and process the information you provide for the purposes of your application, but also to support your child's teaching and learning through the Pupil Premium.
Free school meal claims
We treat all claims in confidence, and schools provide the same meals whether they're paid for or provided free.
Your child doesn't have to take up a meal every day - you can still provide a 'pack up' as and when you want to.
We'll also transfer your child's entitlement when they move from primary to secondary school, so you won't need to take any further action.
Contact us for an appointment to get benefits advice in person at West Offices.