Parents/carers of children attending a school (not college) in York can apply for free school meals and the Pupil Premium online or complete an Educational Benefits Form.
When we process your application, we'll:
- use your details to check your child's eligibility for free school meals by checking information held by the Department for Work and Pensions and the Department for Education; this quick online check may mean we can confirm eligibility immediately
- write to you to ask for proof of benefit if necessary; all proofs must be dated within the last 3 months (or for tax credits, the current financial year) and clearly state your entitlement to a qualifying benefit
- not be able to return original proofs to you, so you should only send copies
- process your application as soon as possible, but always within 10 working days of receiving it
- write to you to inform you whether free school meals have been approved for your child(ren)
- inform your child's school of their eligibility
How we use your data
When you apply (online or by paper form), we'll use and process your information for the purposes of your application, but also for supporting your child's teaching and learning.
Free school meal claims
We treat all claims in confidence, and schools provide the same meals whether they are paid for or provided free.
Your child doesn't have to take up a meal every day; you can still provide a 'pack up' as and when you want to.
When your child transfers from primary to secondary school, we'll also transfer their entitlement so you won't need to take any further action.