You may be entitled to apply for free school meals for your children if you receive one of the following income-related benefits:
- Income Support
- Income-based Job Seekers' Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit combined with both a household income below £16,190 per annum and not in receipt of any Working Tax Credit
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Guarantee Element of state Pension Credit
- Universal Credit, with annual household earnings of less than £7,400
You may also qualify if:
- you've just started working less than 16 hours a week, or
- your employment has stopped for a temporary 4-week 'run-on' period
If your school does not sign up for the City of York Council eligibility scheme, the school may require you to apply for free school meals direct to them or to their provider. Please check with school whether their free school applications are made through the council or through the school.
Note: You're not entitled to apply for free school meals if you receive contributions-based benefits, including contribution-related Job Seekers' Allowance.
The Pupil Premium
If you feel you may meet the low income criteria (as above), you should still apply for free school meals, as schools will benefit from additional funding known as the Pupil Premium.
Universal Infant free school meals
All children are automatically eligible to receive free school meals in:
- Year 1
- Year 2
Free school meal vouchers provided during COVID-19 are no longer available.
Holiday activities and food
A range of holiday activity schemes will be available for children and young people during the Christmas, Easter and Summer school holidays. The YorOK holiday activities and food web page outlines some of these schemes.
These sessions will include a variety of fun activities, including sports, music, arts, and other exciting opportunities to learn and develop skills, alongside a nutritious meal each day. They are being provided to targeted children as part of the government’s expanded Holiday Activities and Food (HAF) programme which is being delivered across the City of York area.
Contact us for an appointment to get benefits advice in person at West Offices.