The Pupil Premium is additional funding to support pupils.
It's payable to the current school of all children registered as eligible to receive free school meals due to:
- their level of family income, or
- being registered for free school meals at some point in the last 6 years
The amount the school gets depends on whether your child attends primary or secondary school:
- £1,320 per pupil at primary school
- £935 per pupil at secondary school
Free school meals
We still ask you to apply for free school meals even if you don't wish your child to have a free school meal on a regular basis, or even at all.
The Pupil Premium will benefit your child's school as additional funding, and will also enable your child to take up a free school meal any day they choose.
Other Pupil Premiums
There are other types of Pupil Premium that you can't apply for directly:
- £300 per pupil for the children of service (military) families
- £2,300 per pupil for children who are currently 'looked after' by a Local Authority, or those who've been adopted from care
Contact your child's school directly to check if they receive one of these other premiums.