GDPR Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy

If you have difficulty paying your rent

You should get advice from the Housing Rent Account Monitoring Team as soon as you think you may not be able to pay your rent. They will check if you can have Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support if you do not already receive it. If they think you are eligible for other benefits, they may put you in touch with a Benefits Advisor.

If you can't pay back the amount you owe

If you cannot pay the amount you owe straight away, you should contact the Housing Rent Account Monitoring Team to explain your difficulties.

You should be open and honest about your finances so that you can agree a realistic plan for repaying your debt in regular, manageable amounts.

The Housing Rent Account Monitoring Team and your Housing Management Officer can set up a direct debit or help you with setting up a standing order from your bank account.

Please note the Customer Centre at West Offices does not take cash or cheque payments over the counter.

Tenants who do not sort out their debt can face legal action, additional costs and losing their home.

Help and advice

There are a number of advice sessions across the city where you can get free housing, rent, benefits and debt advice.

You can contact Citizens' Advice York on tel: 03444 111 444 or via the Citizens' Advice York website.

Also see