York Financial Assistance Scheme (YFAS)

The York Financial Assistance Scheme (YFAS) provides help if you are having financial difficulties.

To get support you can:

If you apply online and we ask you to provide details of your income and expenditure, the Citizens' Advice budget sheet can help you list all your income and expenses. When completed, return this sheet to YFAS via our Benefits Section (not Citizen's Advice).

If you are homeless, use our address when filling in your application: City of York Council, West Offices, York, YO1 6GA

About the York Financial Assistance Scheme (YFAS)

We offer two types of assistance, targeted at those most in need:

  • Emergency Assistance: to help with a disaster or crisis
  • Community Assistance: to help with a return to/remaining in your community

Community Assistance can also help ease pressure on your family, for example, by providing help to attend a funeral or with visiting a sick relative.

What York Financial Assistance Scheme (YFAS) provides

YFAS provides goods, services, fuel top-ups and supermarket vouchers. We can only make cash available to you in exceptional circumstances, for example, if we receive a recommendation for you from a support agency.

We will award items on the basis of need; for example, we will only provide carpets if there is a specific need, such as you have a baby/toddler who is crawling.

Download the YFAS factsheet and YFAS criteria for more information.

If you are experiencing benefit delays

If you have no money due to a delay with a benefit payment from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), you can apply for a short-term benefit advance.

Download our Money Problems leaflet for information and advice in times of financial hardship.

Other discretionary financial help

If you are receiving Housing Benefit or Universal Credit and you're struggling to pay your rent, you may be able to request a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP).

Our council tax Discretionary Reduction Scheme may also be able to help if you are unable to pay your council tax bill in times of financial difficulty.

Flood related applications (for flood disasters)

If you have been affected by flooding in York and need financial support, complete a Flood Recovery Fund application form. Refer to the guidance notes if you need further help completing your application.

Once you have completed the application form, you can either:

Also see

Comment on this page
Back to the top of the page