To keep the streets of York clean we:
- clean town centres, including footstreets at least once a day
- clean other roads daily, weekly, or monthly, based on need
- undertake litter picking and mechanical pavement and road sweeping
- arrange removal of accumulated rubbish from land we own
- empty litter bins and dog bins
- follow street cleaning schedules in wards
- help with your locally organised clean-ups
- respond when you report about street cleanliness problems
See which street cleaning problems we cannot help with.
Report a street cleaning problem
When you report a street cleaning problem we’ll check the location and aim to ‘clean first visit’; see our street cleaning response times.
To report a problem with street cleaning tell us:
- the location of the problem
- the type of problem
- details of the problem (for example 'outside house number 7')
We have a dedicated form to report fly-tipping to report the illegal dumping of waste.
Our response to street cleaning problems
Our crews work between 7.30am and 2.30pm, Monday to Friday. Street cleaning problems reported outside of these times are received the next working day.
When you report a street cleaning problem our action depends on the type of problem:
- urgent street cleaning problems such as discarded needles or broken glass, are cleared within 2 working hours of a report being received
- normal street cleaning problems are cleared within 3 working days of a report being received
Our street cleaning responsibilities
We cannot help with street cleaning problems on privately owned land, NHS or library property or roads which are not adopted.