If you want to dig up a road or pavement ('excavate a highway'), you'll need special permission from us.
Before sending your application, read our:
Make an application to excavate the highway
Download and complete the following forms to make your application:
- Application form for permission to excavate a highway
- Form N - Notice of Works
- Form R - Registration of Works
After you've sent your application, you can expect to hear from us within 10 working days.
Notice periods for excavating the highway
The following notice periods apply for planned works:
- 7 working days for minor works
- 28 days' notice for major works (lasting over 10 working days)
Application for temporary traffic lights
Complete and return our temporary traffic light application form if you require temporary traffic lights.
Not all applications fall under 'tacit consent' parameters, due to reasons of public interest.
If tacit consent applies, you can act as if your application has been granted if we don't respond within a specified time after we've confirmed receipt of your application.
Tacit consent doesn't apply to this application - it's in the public interest we process your application before it can be granted.
After you've submitted your application:
- you can't assume we'll give our permission
- we'll contact you within 10 working days to confirm we've received it
- if you haven't heard from us within 10 working days, contact us to check its status