If you want to dig up a road or pavement ('excavate a highway'), you need special permission from us.

Read the guidance notes for excavating a highway before sending your application.

Download the required forms in respect of your application:

You must complete the application form and send it to us. You can normally expect to hear from us within 10 working days.

See information relating to associated fees and charges for highway excavation applications.

Notice periods

For planned works:

  • 7 working days notice is required for minor works
  • 28 days notice is required for major works (lasting over 10 working days)

Traffic lights

If temporary traffic lights are required, please complete and return a temporary traffic light application form.

Tacit consent

Not all applications fall under tacit consent parameters, due to reasons of public interest.

If tacit consent applies, then you can act as if your application has been granted if we do not respond within a specified time after the confirmed receipt of your application.

Tacit consent does not apply to this application, therefore it is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted.

  • you cannot assume permission will be given
  • we will contact you within 10 working days to acknowledge receipt of your application
  • if you have not heard from us within 10 working days please contact us to check the status of your application

Also see

Comment on this page