Apply for permission to temporarily close a road or footpath to prevent vehicles or pedestrians using it:
What to include in your road closure application
You must include a plan with your application showing:
- the location of the intended closure
- diversion routes and signs you intend to use
Return your form (and plans) to our Traffic Management Team. You should allow us 3 to 5 weeks to process your application.
Note that permission to close a road or footpath:
- will only be granted if keeping it open will cause considerable risk
- is only valid for the duration applied for
Road closure costs
Road or footpath closure costs depend on the scale of your event/works:
- minimum charge is £483.00 rising to a maximum of £1,452.00 (excluding advertising costs)
- closures for one street or footpath will (mostly) be charged at minimum rate
- if your event/works require closures for several streets/areas, you'll be charged a higher rate, but not more than £1,452.00 (excluding advertising costs)
- concessions may be available for charitable events
- we'll charge all applicants (including charities) advertising costs if the closure involves a legal order
We'll send you an invoice if we grant your closure.
Tacit consent for road closures
'Tacit consent' does not apply to this application, because it's in the public interest we process your application before it can be granted.
- you can't assume we'll give you permission
- we'll contact you within 5 working days to let you know we've received your application
- if you've not heard from us within 5 working days, contact us to check your application's status