Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website
Streets, roads and pavements

Temporary road or footpath closures

You can apply for permission to temporarily close a road or footpath to prevent vehicles or pedestrians using it.

You may wish to close a road or footpath for roadworks or community events, for example.

A minimum period of 6 weeks is required for approval and processing of this request. If this form is not completed fully then it will be returned for completion. This will extend the processing period.

Note that permission to close a road or footpath:

  • will only be granted if keeping it open will cause considerable risk
  • is only valid for the duration applied for

Apply for a temporary road or footpath closure

What to include in your road closure application

You must include a plan with your application showing:

  1. the location of the proposed road closure
  2. the proposed diversion route
  3. the signage for the proposed diversion route

You can submit your plans via the online form.

If you are intending to carry out road or street works in the public highway then under the New Roads & Street Works Act (1991) you're required to obtain permit from our Streetworks department. Email: to request a permit to work on the public highway.

Any approval of a road closure does not mean you've also been granted approval for a Streetworks permit (or vice versa).

Road closure costs

The charge for arranging a temporary road or footpath closure is £2,000. This fee includes the legal order and any advertising costs. The appropriate amount will be invoiced if the closure is granted.

If the closure is for a community, sports or charity event then the council may offer a reduced rate or free of charge depending on the situation.

If your request includes a temporary parking suspension, you may also be required to cover the costs of alternative parking arrangements for residential parking permit holders for the duration of the works (further details can be supplied on application).

We'll send you an invoice if we grant your closure.

Cancellation Policy

All cancellations must be sent to the Highway Regulation Team at least 14 days before the event. If cancellation occurs less than 14 days prior to the start date, the full amount will be charged. If any expense has already been incurred by City of York Council before that deadline then these will still be chargeable.

Also see

Traffic Management Team

West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

Telephone: 01904 551550