You need permission to place temporary traffic lights on the road. The company carrying out works is responsible for applying for permission.
Apply for temporary traffic lights
If you wish to place temporary traffic lights on a public road email: firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain the correct permit application form. Please include the following details in your email:
- street name and location
- duration of occupation of traffic lights on road
- purpose for traffic lights
We may need to arrange a site meeting, dependent on location.
Please note that as the council operates a permit scheme, all submitted applications must abide by the New Roads and Street Works Act, including advance notice timescales, in order to be granted.
Required notice for temporary traffic lights
We require advance notice for placing temporary traffic lights on the public highway.
In addition to the New Roads and Street Works Act noticing timescales below we also require an additional 5 working days' administration time to process an application.
The amount of notice depends on how long the lights will occupy the highway:
- 3 working days' notice is required for minor works (up to 3 days on the road)
- 10 days’ notice is required for standard works (4-10 days on the road)
- 3 months’ notice is required for major works (over 10 working days on the road)
For further details please contact the Streetworks team.
How we process your application
We require time to process and consider your application before it can be granted.
- a member of the streetworks team will contact you within 5 working days to acknowledge receipt of your application
- you can't assume permission will be given during this time
- in some cases a site meeting may be required
- notice periods also require an additional 5 days’ administration time, in order to be processed in a timely manner
You can't act as if your application has been granted if we don't respond within expected timeframes.
If you have not heard from us within 5 working days of submission, please contact the Streetworks team check the status of your application. No works should commence without a permit number being supplied by the council.