You need permission to use cherry pickers, access platforms or cranes on any part of a highway including:
Your permission should be for the full duration of the works.
Read our terms and conditions before completing a permit application for:
You should allow us 5 working days to grant permission.
Restrictions on cherry pickers, access platforms and cranes
If you're working on busy roads or in the city centre, you should do so on Sundays or outside peak hours.
In addition, you must:
- place rigid barriers to prevent pedestrians walking underneath equipment
- arrange for traffic management measures to be taken (include details with your application)
- display a copy of your licence on the vehicle, otherwise the equipment operator must keep a copy at all times
You'll need to apply for a road or lane closure if your cherry picker, crane or access platform prevents others from using the carriageway.
Cherry picker and access platform licence costs
A cherry picker or access platform licence costs:
- 1 day: £80.00
- 2 days or more: £109.00
Crane licence costs
A crane licence costs:
- up to 1 week: £120.00
- per additional week: £150.00
We'll send you an invoice for all licence costs.
'Tacit consent' does not apply to applications for licences for cherry pickers, access platforms and cranes, because it's in the public interest we process your application before it can be granted.
- you can't assume we'll give our permission
- we'll contact you within 5 working days to let you know we've received your application
- if you've not heard from us within 5 working days, contact us to check your application's status