You need permission to use cherry pickers, access platforms or cranes on any part of a highway including the road, footpath or verges for the duration of the works.
- application form for the use of cherry pickers or access platforms
- crane on the highway application form
- terms and conditions for cherry pickers and access platforms.
Please allow 5 working days for permission to be granted.
Restrictions on cherry pickers, access platforms and cranes
If you're working on busy roads or in the city centre, we'll ask you to do so on a Sunday or outside peak hours.
In addition you must:
- place rigid pedestrian barriers to prevent pedestrians walking underneath equipment
- arrange for traffic management measures to be taken (please include details with your application)
- display a copy of your licence on the vehicle or the equipment operator must keep a copy at all times
If your cherry picker, crane or access platform prevents others from using the carriageway, you will need to apply for a road closure or lane closure.
We may be unable to give permission, so this process does not fall under 'tacit consent' parameters:
Not all applications fall under tacit consent parameters, due to reasons of public interest.
If tacit consent applies, then you can act as if your application has been granted if we do not respond within a specified time after the confirmed receipt of your application.
Tacit consent does not apply to this application, therefore it is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted.
- you cannot assume permission will be given
- we will contact you within 5 working days to acknowledge receipt of your application
- if you have not heard from us within 5 working days please contact Network Management to check the status of your application
Paying for a cherry picker, access platform or crane licence
The cost of a licence is:
- 1 day: £72
- 2 days or more: £107
We will send an invoice to the applicant for the cost of the licence. You can then pay your invoice online.