Apply for permission to place a cherry picker, access platform or crane on any part of the highway including the road, footpath or verges (for the duration of the works).
Please allow 5 working days for permission to be granted. We will contact you about your application during this time.
Tacit Consent parameters
We may be unable to give permission, so this process does not fall under 'tacit consent' parameters:
- you cannot assume permission will be given
- we will contact you within 5 working days of receiving your application
- if you've not heard from us within 5 working days, please contact Network Management to check the status of your application
Restrictions on cherry pickers, access platforms and cranes
If you're working on busy roads or in the city centre, we'll ask you to do so on a Sunday or outside peak hours.
- you must place rigid pedestrian barriers to prevent pedestrians walking underneath equipment
- you must arrange for traffic management measures to be taken (please include details with your application)
- you must display a copy of your licence on the vehicle or the equipment operator must keep a copy at all times
If your cherry picker, crane or access platform prevents others from using the carriageway, you will need to apply for a road closure or lane closure.
For further information, see our terms and conditions for use of cherry pickers and access platforms.
Paying for a cherry picker, access platform or crane licence
The cost of a licence is:
- 1 day: £70
- 2 days or more: £104
We will send an invoice to the applicant for the cost of the licence. pay your invoice online.