Apply for permission to place a cherry picker, access platform or crane on any part of the highway including the road, footpath or verges (for the duration of the works).
Please allow 5 working days for permission to be granted. We will contact you about your application during this time.
We may be unable to give permission, so this process does not fall under 'tacit consent' parameters:
- you cannot assume permission will be given
- we will contact you within 5 working days of receiving your application
- if you've not heard from us within 5 working days, please contact Network Management to check the status of your application
Restrictions on cherry pickers, access platforms and cranes
If you're working on busy roads or in the city centre, we'll ask you to do so on a Sunday or outside peak hours.
- rigid pedestrian barriers must be used to prevent pedestrians walking underneath equipment
- traffic management measures must be taken (please include details with your application)
- a copy of your licence must be displayed on the vehicle or be kept by the equipment operator at all times
If your cherry picker, crane or access platform prevents others from using the carriageway, you will need to apply for a road closure or lane closure.
For further information, see our terms and conditions for use of cherry pickers and access platforms.
Paying for a cherry picker, access platform or crane licence
The cost of a licence is:
- 1 day: £70
- 2 days or more: £104
We will send an invoice to the applicant for the cost of the licence. You can pay your invoice online.