You need permission to use cherry pickers, access platforms or cranes on any part of a highway including the road, footpath or verges for the duration of the works.
- Apply for permission to place a cherry picker or access platform
- Apply for permission to place a crane
Please allow 5 working days for permission to be granted. We will contact you about your application during this time.
Tacit Consent parameters
We may be unable to give permission, so this process does not fall under 'tacit consent' parameters:
- you cannot assume permission will be given
- we will contact you within 5 working days of receiving your application
- if you've not heard from us within 5 working days, please contact Network Management to check the status of your application
Restrictions on cherry pickers, access platforms and cranes
If you're working on busy roads or in the city centre, we'll ask you to do so on a Sunday or outside peak hours.
In addition you must:
- place rigid pedestrian barriers to prevent pedestrians walking underneath equipment
- arrange for traffic management measures to be taken (please include details with your application)
- display a copy of your licence on the vehicle or the equipment operator must keep a copy at all times
If your cherry picker, crane or access platform prevents others from using the carriageway, you will need to apply for a road closure or lane closure.
For further information, see our terms and conditions for use of cherry pickers and access platforms.
Paying for a cherry picker, access platform or crane licence
The cost of a licence is:
- 1 day: £70.00
- 2 days or more: £104.00
We will send an invoice to the applicant for the cost of the licence. You can then pay your invoice online.