Apply for a hoarding licence to place any temporary hoarding or fencing on the road, footway or grass verge, for up to 28 days.
Complete a hoarding licence application form and read our scaffolding and hoarding licence terms and conditions.
- we require a minimum of 5 working days' notice to process your application
- if your hoarding reduces the width of the footway to less than 1.2m, you must provide a temporary footway
- if a temporary footway is placed on an adjacent carriageway, you'll need to provide traffic management measures
- you may need to apply for a footway closure if a temporary footway isn't possible
You must supply all relevant details with your application - contact our Highway Licensing Team for more information.
Hoarding licence costs
- a hording licence costs £120 for 28 days
- subsequent periods of 1 to 28 days will be charged at £60
- a late application costs an additional £37 (£157 for the first 28 days in total)
- we'll issue a 'defect notice' if a hoarding does not meet required standards (described in our scaffolding and hoarding licence terms and conditions)
- in the case of 'defective' hoarding, you must rectify it and pay an additional £77
We'll send you an invoice for the licence.
How we process your application
We require time to process and consider your application before it can be granted.
In this case:
- you can't assume permission will be given
- we'll contact you within 5 working days to acknowledge receipt of your application
You can't act as if your application has been granted if we don't respond within expected timeframes.
If you haven't heard from us within 5 working days, please contact us to check the status of your application.