You need permission to put scaffolding or temporary scaffold towers on the road, footway or grass verge.
Apply for a scaffolding licence
The scaffolding company must:
- apply for the licence, and
- must be registered with us
Read our scaffolding and hoarding licence terms and conditions and complete a:
We need 5 working days' notice to process your application.
If you require your licence urgently, we can arrange permission within 5 days for an extra charge.
Scaffolding licence additional requirements
Please also note if:
- pedestrian access through the scaffold isn't possible, you'll need to provide a temporary footway
- a temporary footway is placed on an adjacent carriageway, you'll need to provide traffic management measures
- a 'drop body' is used, you must apply for an additional skip permit
Scaffolding licence costs
- £120.00 for 28 days
- £60.00 for an additional 1 to 28 days
- an additional £37.00 if 5 days' notice is not given (£157.00 for the first 28 days in total)
Defective or unlicensed scaffolding
We'll issue a 'defect notice' if a hoarding does not meet the standards described in our scaffolding and hoarding licence terms and conditions. In these circumstances, you must rectify the fault and pay an additional £77.00.
If we find scaffolding erected on the highway without a licence, we'll contact the scaffolding company, who'll be required to apply for one. We issue a penalty charge of £99.00 for unlicensed scaffolding in addition to the cost of a permit.
We invoice the scaffolding company for all costs incurred.
How we process your application
We require time to process and consider your application before it can be granted.
In this case:
- you can't assume permission will be given
- we'll contact you within 5 working days to acknowledge receipt of your application
You can't act as if your application has been granted if we don't respond within expected timeframes.
If you haven't heard from us within 5 working days, please contact us to check the status of your application.