Taxi shuttle service
We've set up a taxi shuttle service for Blue Badge holders to get into town from Monk Bar car park.
This service is operated by a few designated taxis, the free service from Monk Bar does not apply to all taxis.
Monk Bar car park
St John's Street
Number of spaces: 213 (166 standard bays, 47 disabled bays)
- Hours and charges
Open 24 hours. Charges apply from 8.00am to midnight. Charges apply every day including Sundays and Bank Holidays.
No maximum stay.
Length of stay Pay and display RingGo Pay by phone Discount Badge Holder Up to 1 hour £2.30 £2.20 £1.70 Up to 2 hours £4.60 £4.40 £3.40 Up to 3 hours £6.90 £6.60 £5.10 Up to 4 hours £9.20 £8.80 £6.80 Up to 5 hours £11.50 £11.00 £8.50 Over 5 hours £13.00 £13.00 £13.00 Evening parking £2.00 £2.00 Free of charge
Please note that if you choose to receive text message alerts in connection with the RingGo pay by phone service, you may face higher costs:
- optional text messages to confirm your parking session are charged at 30p per message
- optional text messages to alert you when your parking is running out are charged at 30p per message
- please note that a 20p service charge applies to all mobile payments of £5.00 and over
- Evening parking
The evening parking charge covers:
- All days, 6.00pm to midnight
York residents' Minster Badge holders can park free of charge from 5.00pm to midnight.
For all customers (excluding Minster Badge holders):
- if you arrive before 6.00pm and want to stay into the evening you must buy a single ticket which covers up to 6.00pm and the evening charge
- all day tickets automatically include the evening charge
- you should check the expiry time on the meter screen before pressing the green button for your ticket
- parking after midnight is free until 8.00am the following day
- tickets which include the evening charge are valid until 8.00am the following day
- Car park facilities
- Payment facilities
- Type of Parking System: Pay and Display
- Pay by cash: Yes
- Pay by debit/credit card: No
- Pay by phone with RingGo: Yes
- Park and pay by phone
- Long stay parking
To park for 2 or more days, pay for parking using the RingGo pay by phone service.
By using RingGo to pay for parking you:
- don’t need to put a parking ticket in your car (Civil Enforcement Officers can check which vehicles are parked with RingGo via their handheld units)
- can pay for long or short stay parking
- can extend your parking time
- can buy multiple days of parking
If you do not pay for additional days in advance, you risk being issued with a penalty change notice if you do not return to your car before 8.00am.
- Accessible parking
Blue Badge holders can park in any bay in this car park, free of charge, for as long as they want.
There are 47 dedicated disabled bays which are available for Blue Badge holders only.
We have set up a taxi service to shuttle blue badge holders between Monk Bar car park to the back of Barnitts (St Andrewgate) only. The council-funded service will be operated by Hackney carriages who will provide designated taxis and will do regular runs to the city centre and you will be able to arrange a return journey with the driver.