York Financial Assistance Scheme (YFAS) provides help to York residents who are facing financial difficulties or emergency situations.
YFAS offers two types of assistance:
- Emergency Assistance for a disaster or crisis
- Community Assistance to help with exceptional pressures or financial difficulties
What YFAS can provide
YFAS can provide:
- gas and electricity top-ups
- supermarket vouchers
Emergency cash payments are only available in exceptional circumstances, when support cannot be provided by direct assistance.
YFAS awards items on the basis of need, and for essential items only. YFAS may not be able to assist with all items requested.
Before making a YFAS application
Check whether you're eligible for emergency assistance from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) before applying for YFAS support.
- applying for an advance if you’re waiting for your first benefit payment
- applying for a budgeting loan to help pay for essential items if you're already claiming benefits
Make a YFAS application
Download the YFAS factsheet and YFAS criteria before making your YFAS application:
In your application you will need to detail what support you and/or your family need, why you need it and the emergency or exceptional circumstances.
You will need to provide details of your household and income, including supporting documents for evidence.
Use these Citizens Advice resources to help you list your income and expenses for your application:
Upload your completed budget sheet as a PDF to support your application.
You can send your budget sheet as a PDF separately to YFAS (if you prefer), either:
- by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- post to YFAS, West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA
- in person at West Offices (please book an appointment first)
If you are unable to complete the form online, telephone: 0808 168 5238 (free from a landline). Please have all the information about your income, outgoings and the support you need with you when you call.