My City Centre York is a response to the huge challenges facing the high street. Our city centre has always evolved, but changes to the way people shop, bank, access services and spend money mean that the next changes will be quicker and more dramatic than we’ve seen before.
My City Centre York is your chance to shape a city centre where York’s citizens love to spend time, live and work.
Together we’ll set out the My City Centre York Vision, with clearly defined project aims, and a timeline which responds to the challenges of how city centres will look in the middle of the 21st Century.
The area we are considering for My City Centre York is the same as that set out by the York Business Improvement District.
My City Centre York project timeline
We have set out the following goals and milestones for the coming months, and will publish updates about the progress of My City Centre York as the project unfolds.
You will be able to take part and to join the My City Centre York conversation.
2019 project timeline:
- August: plans approved by the council’s Executive for the My City Centre engagement exercise, to produce a vision for the city centre
- December: begin public engagement planning
2020 project timeline
- January: first monthly My City Centre York Stakeholder Group meeting, bringing together representative voices from across the city centre
- February to May: public consultation and engagement
- May to July: My City Centre York Vision developed in response to consultation and engagement
- August to September: second consultation period, to share and test our vision
- November: report and final vision for the city centre to be presented to the council’s Executive
My City Centre York Stakeholders
As well as consulting with residents and the public, we are working in partnership with a number of other stakeholders, to ensure a balanced approach to creating a new vision for the city centre.
The My City Centre York Stakeholder Group will meet on a monthly basis throughout the project to help shape the vision, and includes:
- Canal and River Trust
- City of York Council
- Cultural Leaders group
- Disabled User Group
- Guilds representatives
- Indie York
- Make It York
- North Yorkshire Police
- University of York
- York and North Yorkshire Chamber of Commerce
- York Business Improvement District
- York Civic trust
- York CVS
- Hospitality Association York
- York Minster
- York Retail Forum
- York St John University