My City Centre York Project update
The My City Centre York project has been paused temporarily as staff are redeployed to the coronavirus emergency response. Thank you for all responses to date which will be taken into account when we recommence. We look forward to resuming discussions on the long term vision for the city centre soon.
My City Centre York is a response to the huge challenges facing the high street. Our city centre has always evolved, but changes to the way people shop, bank, access services and spend money mean that upcoming changes will be quicker and more dramatic than we’ve seen before.
My City Centre York is your chance to shape a city centre where the people of York love to spend time, live and work.
Together we’ll set out the My City Centre York Vision, with clearly defined project aims, and a timeline which responds to the challenges of how city centres will look in the middle of the 21st century.
We want to know what you love, what you want to change or would like to do in the future in your city centre.
There are lots of different ways for you to join the conversation.
My City Centre York events and exhibitions
In light of government advice in relation to COVID-19 (coronavirus), we’ve postponed the public engagement events, exhibitions and workshops. The safety of our York residents is our priority, so we’ll continue to review the latest advice and will look to reschedule later in the year.
Until then we’re carrying on the conversation online.
My City Centre York online
Join the My City Centre York conversation on social media:
My City Centre York project timeline
We've set out the following goals and milestones for the coming months, and will publish updates about the progress of My City Centre York as the project unfolds.
You'll also be able to join the My City Centre York conversation.
2019 project timeline:
- August: plans approved by the council’s Executive for the My City Centre Project, to produce a vision for the city centre
- December: begin public engagement planning
2020 project timeline
- January: first monthly My City Centre York Stakeholder Group meeting, bringing together representative voices from across the city centre
- February to May: public consultation and engagement
- June to July: My City Centre York Vision developed in response to consultation and engagement
- August to September: second consultation period, to share and test our vision
- Following this, a report and final vision for the city centre to be presented to the council’s Executive
My City Centre York Stakeholders
As well as consulting with residents and the public, we're working in partnership with a number of other stakeholders, to ensure a balanced approach to creating a new vision for the city centre.
The My City Centre York Stakeholder Group will meet on a monthly basis throughout the project to help shape the vision, and includes:
- Canal and River Trust
- City of York Council
- Cultural Leaders group
- Disabled User Group
- Guilds representatives
- Indie York
- Make It York
- North Yorkshire Police
- Safer York Partnership
- Higher York
- York and North Yorkshire Chamber of Commerce
- York Business Improvement District
- York Civic trust
- York CVS
- Hospitality Association York
- York Minster
- York Retail Forum