If you think you might need to apply, contact our Planning Enquiries Team to:
- tell them what you want to do
- ask for their advice
- find out which application form you need
You can then either:
- make an application online via the Planning Portal
- download and email or post the appropriate form, drawings and any documents to the Planning Submissions Team
Paying for planning applications
Payment can be made:
- online via the Planning Portal (if you've chosen to make your application online)
- by telephone: 01904 551660 using a debit/credit card
- by bank transfer (email the Planning Enquiries Team for details)
- by cheque, payable to 'City of York Council' sent with a covering letter to the Planning Submissions Team
Plans and maps for planning applications
Your planning application must include plans showing exactly what you're proposing.
- a location plan at a scale of 1:1250, normally an Ordnance Survey plan
- a site plan showing the existing and proposed building or site and its relationship to neighbouring land. buildings, roads and footpaths at a scale of 1:200 or 1:500
- 'as proposed' and 'as existing' floor plans and elevations normally at 1:50 or 1:100 metric scale
Drawings need to be clear, accurate and sufficiently detailed to enable what is proposed to be understood by members of the public, consultees and us as the local planning authority.
Use our guide to submitting electronic files with planning applications, as it explains the best way to prepare your documents to be sent electronically.
To order and purchase copies of location plans or site plans, go to Tang Hall, Acomb or York libraries, email email@example.com or telephone: 01904 552828.