Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website

The legal record of public rights of way (PRoW) is known as the 'definitive map and statement'.

You can see the general location of public rights of way at our Customer Centre - contact the Public Rights of Way Team for an appointment.

Or you can view Public Rights of Way online.

Note: Our online map is not the definitive map, so cannot be relied on for the exact location of a PRoW. Contact us if you need to know the exact location of a PRoW.

Temporary closure of a public right of way

You can apply to close a PRoW for up to 6 months if you need to carry out works which will cause an obstruction.

Diverting or creating a public right of way

Landowners can apply to us to divert any existing PRoW where:

  • it would be blocked by a new building
  • realigning the PRoW would assist the landowner

Before considering a diversion, bear in mind:

  • all PRoWs crossing your land should be open and available to the public before applying to divert them
  • the proposed new route must not be substantially less convenient than the current PRoW
  • the proposed new route cannot be diverted on to an existing public highway or a route that will be subject to an agreement made under section 38 of the Highways Act 1980

For more information on diverting a PRoW, please email for an application pack.

Contact us if:

  • you're a landowner and would like to create a new PRoW
  • you'd like to remove a PRoW from the definitive map

Note: It's extremely unlikely that a PRoW not being used would be sufficient grounds to remove it from the definitive map.

Changing the definitive map

The definitive map and statement is legally conclusive proof that a right of way exists in the position shown on the map. It allows us to take action against anyone who tries to prevent the public using these routes.

You can make a Definitive Map Modification Order (DMMO) application to change the definitive map if you think a PRoW:

  • is not recorded on the definitive map and statement
  • is recorded incorrectly

It's often a long and complicated process from initial DMMO application to final decision - read our guidance notes for assistance:

We process DMMO applications in accordance with our adopted Statement of Priorities.

DMMO Evidence Statements

Contact us if you wish to include evidence of long public use with your application - we can provide a user evidence statement including a map of the relevant area.

Read our guides to completing evidence statements:

Protecting your land from further Public Rights of Way

Under section 31(6) of the Highways Act 1980, landowners can declare they have no intention of allowing additional rights of way over their land.

Declarations cost £242 and are valid for 20 years.

Landowners can also protect their land from the establishment of a town or village green at the same time.

To make a declaration:

There's an additional charge to make a registration under the Commons Act 2006 - visit our common land, town and village greens page for further details.

Also see

Public Rights of Way Team

West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

Telephone: 01904 551550