Apply for a school place

To apply for a school place, you can apply online now. Before completing an application, please read the information below.

Types of application

There are several different types of application for a school place.

The information you need to consider before making an application depends on whether your child is starting at primary, infant, junior or secondary school for the first time, see:

If your child is moving schools either during the school year or for the start of the next school year, then you will need to make an in-year application. Examples of this include when moving to York or requesting to move your child from one school to another within York.

Applications for Year 12 or 13 should be made directly to the school - get school contact details.

All applications should be submitted to the Local Authority where you live at the time of application.  If you are currently outside the UK but are moving to York, please apply to us. 

Your data

When you apply for a school place (online or paper application) we'll use and process your information for the purposes of your application, but also for providing children's education and supporting your child's teaching and learning - find out more.

Guide for parents

We have created a Guide for Parents which contains useful information for parent and carers on school admissions, including key information on catchment areas, parental responsibility, fair access, service families, your address, the oversubscription criteria, and key dates including when you will find out which school your child has been allocated.

Your preferences

You can express up to five preferences in your application. We operate an equal preference system which means that we consider all of your preferences and offer you the highest ranked preference we can.

Putting a school as your first and only preference does not increase your chance of being successful.

If we cannot offer you any of your preferences and you are without a local school place, you will be allocated the nearest school with places available, this may not be your catchment school area, but will be within a reasonable distance of your home address. It is therefore advisable to use all of your five preferences.

Supplementary information forms

If you are applying for schools outside of the City of York area or faith schools such as your local Church of England or Roman Catholic Primary or Secondary School you may also need to provide additional information such as proof of baptism, or fill in a Supplementary Information Form (SIF)

You should check with the school directly if a SIF is required, but you must always apply to your home Local Authority.

Children with an Education, Health and Care Plan

If your child has an 'Education, Health and Care Plan' (or statement) of special educational need (SEN), there is a separate admissions process - see YorOK - Our Local Offer for details. 


The Local Authority may withdraw the offer of a school place if an application is found to be fraudulent or intentionally misleading. This withdrawal may be either before or after the child has taken up the place.

Comment on this page
Back to the top of the page