Paper copies of both documents are also available to view in our Customer Centre, Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 5.00pm, by appointment only. Please contact the Forward Planning team to organise an appointment by telephone: 01904 552255, or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
In accordance with The Neighbourhood Plan (General) Regulations 2012, this Neighbourhood Plan will be used when determining future planning applications within the identified Earswick Neighbourhood Area.
Background to the Earswick Neighbourhood Plan
Timetable summary of producing the Neighbourhood Plan:
|Neighbourhood Area Designation||9 December 2015|
|Pre Submission Plan Published||4 December 2017|
|Final Plan Submitted||5 February 2018|
|Examiner's report received||7 January 2019|
|Decision statement||7 March 2019|
|Referendum||2 May 2019|
|Adoption||27 June 2019|
Designation of the Earswick Neighbourhood Area
In June 2015, Earswick Parish Council wrote to us to formally submit the Earswick Neighbourhood Plan application and boundary. People who live, work and conduct business in the area were able to comment on the application and boundary from 19 October to 16 November 2015, as part of a four-week consultation.
Earswick Neighbourhood Plan application and boundary was approved at the Executive for Planning and Transport 'decision session' on 9 December 2015, enabling work to start on developing the Neighbourhood Plan for the area.
Earswick Parish Council have carried out two Pre-Submission Consultations on their draft Neighbourhood Plan and associated documents. The first Pre-Submission Consultation took place between 20 November 2016 and 7 January 2017.
The second Pre-Submission Consultation took place between 4 December 2017 and 5 February 2018. A second Pre-Submission Consultation was required to reference our Pre-Publication draft Local Plan (September 2017). In addition, the proposed Neighbourhood Plan Policy on the Green Belt was amended to reflect a similar policy contained within the approved Neighbourhood Plan for the parishes of Nether and Upper Poppleton.
Submission of the Earswick Neighbourhood Plan
Earswick Neighbourhood Plan was submitted by Earswick Parish Council on 5 February 2018. Once a Neighbourhood Plan is submitted, we are required to 'publicise the documents submitted on our website and in such other manner as we consider is likely to bring the proposal to the attention of people who live, work or carry on business in the neighbourhood area' in compliance with the Neighbourhood Planning (General) Regulations 2016.
City of York Council ran a consultation on the Submission between 4 October 2018 to 15 November 2018. The documents we consulted on were:
- Earswick Neighbourhood Plan Submission Version
- Earswick Neighbourhood Plan Strategic Environmental Assessment and Habitat Regulation Assessment Screening Report
- Earswick Neighbourhood Plan Habitat Regulation Assessment Addendum – Review in light of judgement ‘People over Wind’ and City of York’s Local Plan HRA Appropriate Assessment (April 2018)
- Earswick Neighbourhood Plan Consultation Statement
- Earswick Neighbourhood Plan Basic Conditions Statement
- Earswick Neighbourhood Plan Application Area
Examination of the Earswick Neighbourhood Plan documents
Following the end of the Submission Consultation on 15 November 2018, the representations received were sent together with the final Earswick Neighbourhood Plan documents for examination with Mr Andrew Ashcroft.
The appointed independent Examiner, Mr Andrew Ashcroft, sent a Clarification Note to the Earswick Neighbourhood Planning Group on 30 November 2018. Earswick Parish Council have responded to the matters outlined and this has been submitted to the Examiner for consideration.
Mr Andrew Ashcroft carried out the examination by written representations and provided his final report on 7 January 2019. The Examiner's Report concluded that 'the Neighbourhood Plan meets all the necessary legal requirements and should proceed to referendum'.
The Examiner's Report and our Decision Statement were reported to Members at the Local Plan Working Group on 27 February 2019 and at Executive on 7 March 2019. Executive Members agreed with the officers' recommendations that the Neighbourhood Plan could proceed to referendum.
Earswick Neighbourhood Plan Referendum
The referendum was conducted in accordance with procedures which are similar to those used at local government elections. The referendum expenses limit that applied to the Earswick Neighbourhood Plan is £2,403.83. The number of people entitled to vote in the referendum by reference to which this limit has been calculated is 709. The specified referendum documents were:
- Earswick Neighbourhood Plan (referendum version)
- the independent Examiner's Report on the plan
- a summary of the representations submitted to the independent examiner following consultation on the Plan
- Decision Statement by the local planning authority that the draft plan meets those basic conditions in paragraph 8(2) to Schedule 4B to the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 and complies with the provision made by or under sections 38A and 38B of the Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act 2004 (as amended)
- General Statement that sets out general information as to town and country planning (including neighbourhood planning) and the referendum
- Information Statement that sets out information specific to the referendum
A referendum on the Earswick Neighbourhood Plan was held on Thursday 2 May 2019. The referendum question was: "Do you want City of York Council to use the Neighbourhood Plan for the Earswick to help it decide on planning applications in the neighbourhood area?"
Earswick Neighbourhood Plan Referendum results
Earswick voted "yes" in response to the referendum. The full breakdown of results was as follows:
- Ballot papers issued: 359
- Yes votes: 327
- No votes: 20
- Ballot papers rejected: 10
- Electorate: 712
- Turnout: 50.4%
The breakdown of rejected ballot papers was as follows:
- A: Want of an official mark: 0
- B: Voting for more answers than required: 0
- C: Writing or mark by which voter could be identified: 0
- D: Being unmarked of wholly void for uncertainty: 10
You can download the Declaration of Result of Poll for the Referendum on the Earswick Neighbourhood Plan.