Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website
Health and social care

Local offer for care leavers

What we offer: education, employment and training

We want to make sure every young person leaving care has the support they need to achieve their goals in life.

Find out more about:

We offer:

  • careers information and advice
  • support to help you in writing your CV
  • support to help you to prepare for interviews
  • support to attend interviews in appropriate clothing
  • transport costs when travelling to training, school or college, apprenticeships or job interviews
  • tools, compulsory equipment, essential clothing, and books
  • opportunities to explore work experience, apprenticeships and employment within the council
  • informing you about voluntary work that we think you may be interested in
  • information about courses that run at different times of the year; this is because not all courses start in September
  • support to apply for Further Education (FE) bursaries

Please note: care leavers are a priority group for the 16 to 19 bursary fund administered by FE colleges, which pays a bursary of up to £1,200 a year to support vulnerable young people to participate in education or if over 19 the discretionary bursary for costs associated with your course.

Tips from care leavers

Aspire to more

If you're unsure what you want to do the ETE officer can help you look at your options. Ask about taster and work experience opportunities.

Your Pathway worker or the ETE officer can help you job search.

Make sure you have a good CV and are prepared for interviews, voluntary work is good experience and good for your CV.

Make sure you attend college, training or your job, not just to learn, but so you receive your bursary or wage.

Top of page

For higher education we offer:

  • to help you, if you choose to go to university, choose the right course and university that matches your talents and interests
  • support if you choose to study higher education alongside your employment or whilst remaining in your own accommodation (speak with the pathway ETE officer for details)
  • support to help you to attend interviews and open days
  • advice and support to apply for tuition fees, loans and bursaries available from Student Finance, the individual higher education establishment and care leaver trusts
  • to pay university accommodation costs for campus student accommodation or equivalent arrangement*
  • a bursary of £2,000 to help with the cost of books and materials spread over the length of your course, if you attend university
  • to support you with travel costs at the start and end of term and offer assistance to transport your belongings to and from university
  • the pathway ETE officer will liaise with tutors and support services over the period of your course to ensure you receive all possible support to successfully complete your degree
  • help with the cost of photographs, your cap and gown, on completion of your degree
  • gold band status on the City of York Council housing register if returning from your course to live in York

*Please note: we offer financial support for one course of higher education. This will be paid in the same way as national funding. For example, the length of the course (plus 1 extra year if required).

Tips from care leavers for those in higher education

Courses vary at each university so do your research make sure it’s the right course for you.

Check out the university visit the city to make sure you will feel OK living there.

Most universities have care leaver bursaries that you do not have to pay back so always apply for these.

Going to university can be scary, especially if you move out of area, so remember you're still entitled to Pathway support; speak to your pathway worker or the ETE officer if you have any worries, concerns or issues about university.

Remember study hard and enjoy your time at university.

Don’t be afraid to use the support available for care leavers at university, ask the ETE officer about it.

Top of page

For postgraduate courses we offer:

A needs assessment, to identify financial support and resources to enable you to undertake post graduate studies.

Tips from care leavers for those completing postgraduate course

Talk with your university and the pathway ETE officer to fully research the requirements to ensure it is the right course to support your future aspirations.

Top of page


Qualifying young people are entitled to an assessment of their needs, to establish whether they require advice and assistance to maximise their right to national grants, bursaries and student loans. Where, following assessment, support is identified as required over a period of time, a plan will be completed to outline the support to be provided.

Qualifying young people will not as a right be entitled to higher education financial support such as the student bursary or accommodation fees.

Top of page

Also see

Pathway Team

Howe Hill, 136 Acomb Road, York, YO24 4HA

Telephone: 01904 555389

Speak Up - York's Children's Rights and Advocacy Service (logo)

Speak Up is the name of York's children's rights and advocacy service, which promotes rights and entitlements, to facilitate participation opportunities for children and young people.

Visit the Speak UP website