Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website
Health and social care

Local offer for care leavers

What we offer: accommodation

We'll encourage you to stay in care until you are 18. Many young people still live at home with their families at this age. Your social worker, pathway worker, and pathway accommodation officer will help you to plan for future accommodation.

We offer:

  • 'staying put' arrangements, if you're eligible and both agree, you can remain with your foster carer at 18 under a ‘staying put’ arrangement, which can last up to 21
  • advice about a range of accommodation options including, taster and trainer flats, supported, semi supported and independent accommodation
  • when assessed as ready for your own home, you'll be put forward for ‘care leaver status’ on the City of York Council housing register; between the ages of 18 and 21 years, this equates to a priority banding (for those who are over 21 years old, this is gold band)
  • if you're on Universal Credit, we'll pay for your first week’s rent
  • practical support to paint and decorate your first City of York Council flat
  • a setting up home grant (SUHG) for essential items and advice on how and where to get the best value for your money
  • support with moving into and furnishing your new home
  • provide you with a moving in pack; this includes basic food shop, cleaning products, washing powder and a first night take away meal
  • support with managing a tenancy, managing your front door, budgeting to ensure your important bills are paid and you avoid rent or council tax arrears
  • if you're not in employment, we'll support you to apply for Universal Credit at 18 for housing costs
  • support and advice if you have a housing crisis or need emergency accommodation

Tips from care leavers

Check out your options with your pathway worker. It's important you have the information you need to make choices about your future accommodation.

Prepare for your future, use the opportunity in your placement or staying put arrangement to develop your independence skills.

It’s a scary time; use the support available from the Pathway Team.

Make sure you know how much your rent is and how it's paid. It will be your responsibility whether you're working or in receipt of benefits, it’s really important.

Keep to your tenancy agreement. Your first year is an introductory one, so remember:

you are responsible for yourself and the behaviour of your visitors

It’s your place, be proud of it and be a good neighbour

Also see

Pathway Team

Howe Hill, 136 Acomb Road, York, YO24 4HA

Telephone: 01904 555389