Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website
Health and social care

Local offer for care leavers

Glossary of terms

This glossary provides the definitions of common terms used throughout our local offer for care leavers:

Read the definition for:

A needs assessment

A needs assessment identifies the areas of your life where support and resources will help you in your transition to adulthood.

Your social worker will take account of your wishes, feelings and aspirations, as well as the views of the important people in your life. They'll gather the information in a needs assessment which will then inform your pathway plan.

Top of page

A pathway plan

We aim to fully involve you in the development of your pathway plan and will support you to express your wishes and views.

For your pathway plan to be effective it will be based on the assessment of your needs. It'll set out the support you will be offered, and the actions required to achieve your goals and aspirations, including contingencies should your circumstances change.

Your pathway plan should cover how we'll help you achieve the things you want in life, such as going to college, university or getting the job that you want, choosing where you would like to live, being healthy, and keeping in touch with people that are important to you.

Your pathway plan will be regularly reviewed with you, at least every 6 months. These meetings will check that your goals and milestones are still right and are being met.

Top of page

The Pathway (Leaving Care) Team

The Pathway Team offer information, advice and support for you to access:

  • accommodation
  • education
  • training
  • work experience
  • health services
  • financial advice
  • relationship advice
  • social opportunities

The team work with other agencies to help you achieve your goals and ambitions. The team is made up of 6 pathway workers, an accommodation officer and an education, training and employment officer (ETE) and a manager.

The Pathway Team provides a duty service from Monday to Friday between 1.00pm and 5.00pm. If your pathway worker is not available you can contact us for support or drop in at the office which is located at 136 Acomb Road, York, YO24 4HA . If we're busy please leave a message and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Top of page

Social Worker

Up until you are 18, whilst ‘looked after’ you will have a social worker from the Children in Permanent Placements team. As part of their statutory duties your social worker will be responsible for care planning and arranging child care reviews, which will be chaired by an Independent Reviewing Officer (IRO). Near to your sixteenth birthday they will assess your needs and develop your ‘pathway plan’ offering support, advice and guidance. The social worker has lead responsibility for safeguarding.

Top of page

Pathway worker

A pathway worker will be identified for you when you're 17 and a half so you can build a relationship before they become your allocated worker when you turn 18.

Your pathway worker will keep in contact and arrange meetings with you; they will visit you at home and also arrange to meet you in the community. Your pathway worker will provide you with advice, information and guidance to help you make informed choices and decisions. The relationship between you and your pathway worker is important; make the most of the support they can offer.

Top of page

Accommodation officer

The pathway accommodation officer supports young people in care and care leavers with their accommodation options. They will also offer information and advice on range of accommodation options to ensure your future accommodation is appropriate for your individual needs. They can support you and your foster carer to set up a staying put arrangement and as required make single access point (SAP) referrals to Hostels and Supported Housing (SASH) Howe Hill and other accommodation projects.

Top of page

Education, training and employment (ETE) officer

Whatever your goal or ambition or if you're unsure what you want to do in the future, the pathway ETE officer can provide 1 to 1 support and guidance to young people in care and care leavers. They have up to date knowledge of local provision, apprenticeships, training providers, colleges, and universities. The ETE officers can also offer support to you if you are already in education, employment or training but may be wishing to change career or improve your prospects.

Top of page

Independent Advocate

Independent advocates can inform you about your rights and help you to be heard in meetings. As the title indicates they are independent and separate from social services.

Top of page

Support and entitlements

The amount of support and the things you're entitled to can be different depending on your individual needs, your age and your care leaver status. It is important that you discuss this with your social worker or pathway worker. Your individual support will be recorded in your pathway plan.

Top of page

Also see

Pathway Team

Howe Hill, 136 Acomb Road, York, YO24 4HA

Telephone: 01904 555389