All updates about the Local Plan Examination process, timetable and other relevant information will be made available here.
Our Local Plan Examination Programme Officer
Contact our Local Plan Examination Programme Officer, Carole Crookes (Independent Programme Officer Solutions) via email: email@example.com, telephone: 07397 909822 or write to:
Independent Programme Officer Solutions
9 Chestnut Walk
Key information for the Local Plan Examination
Inspector Simon Berkeley (BA MA MRTPI) and Inspector Andrew McCormack (BSc(Hons) MRTPI) have been appointed by the Planning Inspectorate to conduct the examination into the City of York Local Plan to determine whether it is sound.
- Local Plan Examination Library - documents, statements and other correspondence issued after submission on 25 May 2018
- Core Document and Evidence Base Library - up to 25 May 2018: documents, plans, strategies and evidence that informed the Local Plan up to submission, including Regulation 19 Consultation responses.
- Local Plan Pre-Publication Draft - as available during consultation from 21 February to 4 April 2018; also view the interactive Policies map.
- General information and advice from the Planning Inspectorate about Local Plans and the examination process
Examination news and updates
Correspondence and updates relating to the examination can be viewed as follows:
- 12 June 2019: In accordance with the inspectors' letter dated 7 May 2019 [EX/INS/6], on 10 June 2019, the Council published a number of documents for public consultation. The consultation period will run until midnight of 22 July 2019 and provides the opportunity for anyone to make representations on the specified documents but does not permit representation to be made on any other parts of the Local Plan. The Inspectors' letter stated that the consultation should include the following documents:
- The Council's proposed revised OAHN figure (And supporting evidence), but specifically including the Housing Needs Update by GL Hearn, dated January 2019 [EX/CYC/9], the proposed modifications schedule relating to the revised OAHN figure [EX/CYC/15], the SHLAA Figure 6 Update based on the revised OAHN figure [EX/CYC/16] and the updated Figure 5.1 and Table 5.2 Housing Trajectories based on the revised OAHN figure to 2033 [EX/CYC/17A] AND TO 2038 [EX/CYC/17b].
- The updated HRA (and supporting evidence), but specifically including the updated Annex C - 'Lower Derwent and Skipworth Common Visitor Survey' of the HRA, dated 19 February 2019 [EX/CYC/14c].
- The proposed changes to the Green Belt boundary (and supporting evidence), but specifically including the 'Addendum to Topic Paper 1 - The approach to defining York's Green Belt', dated March 2019 [EX/CYC/18] and the 'Addendum to TP1 Annex 6 - Proposed Modifications Schedule', dated March 2019 [EX/CYC/18a].
- The Council's proposed modifications to the submitted Local Plan arising from the above [EX/CYC/20].
- Infomation about the public consultation including the above, relavant supporting document and how to make a representation is available on the Council's webpage at: or follow the link in the red box above.
- 30 May 2019: The Council submitted a letter to the Inspector [EX CYC 19] on 21 May 2019 setting out the proposed arrangements for the Local Plan Proposed Modifications Consultation.
- 9 May 2019: The Council recieved a letter from the Inspectors [EX/INS/6]. The letter acknowledges that there has been a substantial amount of further work undertaken by the Council since the City of York Local Plan was submitted for Examination last year. As much of this new evidence is fundamental to the soundness of the Local Plan, particularly the Council's overall approach to the Green Belt and the assessed OAHN figure the Inspectors have decided that it will be necessary for further public consultation to be undertaken to allow people to comment on all of the new evidence and the proposed modifications to the Plan put forward by the Council. The consultation should be open to the general public for a period of six weeks and should be undertaken as soon as possible. Further updates will be provided on this page as information becomes available.
- 11 March 2019: A report was considered by City of York Council's Executive on 7 March 2019 [EX CYC 12] and the recommendations of the report were approved. This includes the proposed modifications to the submitted Plan as a result of the updated Habitats Regulation Assessment following completion of the visitor survey requested by Natural England. We are to submit a modifications schedule along with the additional evidence comprising the updated HRA and the Topic Paper 1 (Approach to York’s Greenbelt) Addendum.
- 6 March 2019: The Inspectors sent a letter to the council [EX INS 4] on 12 February 2019. We sent an email to the Inspectors [EX CYC 10] seeking to clarify matters in the letter. Through the Programme Officer, the Inspectors issued further clarification questions [EX INS 5]. We ent a note of clarification to the Inspectors [EX CYC 11] on 18 February 2019 along with four attachments: Legal Advice from John Hobson QC From LPWG [EX CYC 11a] , SHLAA Figure 6 Detailed Housing Trajectory [EX CYC 11b], LP Figure 5 1 and Table 5 2 Version 1 Housing Trajectory Extended to 2037-38 [EX CYC 11c] and LP Figure 5 1 and Table 5 2 Version 2 Detailed Housing Trajectory Extended to 37-38 [EX CYC 11d].
- 31 January 2019: We submitted a letter to the Inspectors [EX/CYC/8] outlining progress on the submission of additional evidence, which has been requested by the Inspectors. The council has also submitted a Housing Need Update (January 2019)[EX/CYC/9] which has been prepared by G L Hearn. The council are currently exploring the availability of suitable venues for the initial hearings and representors will be written to when the details are confirmed. Details of the hearings will also be provided on this webpage.
- 14 January 2019: An initial letter [EX/INS/3] has been sent out to everyone who made a representation at the Pre-Publication stage. The Inspectors have decided that a phased approach will be taken to the hearings and that the first phase of hearings will deal with the Duty to Cooperate, the OAN and matters relating to Green Belt principle. It is anticipated that the initial hearings will be held in March 2019. However, it is stressed that this is merely anticipated and not yet finalised. In order to assist in preparing the draft hearings programme, representors must confirm no later than Friday 25 January 2019 whether or not they wish to take part in any of the hearings (not just the first phase)
- 17 December 2018: The Inspectors have sent a letter of response (EX/INS/2) to our letter on 14 November 2018 [EX/CYC/7]. (Please note that neither of these letters are open for public comment).
- 14 November 2018: We submitted a response to the Inspectors letter of 25 July 2018 [EX/CYC/7]. You can view the letter of response and its attachments - Duty to Co-operate Annexes [EX/CYC/7a], Addendum to Annex 4 of IDP [EX/CYC/7b], Errata addendum to IDP [EX/CYC/7c] and Figures 5.1 and 5.2 [EX/CYC/7d] - via links in the Examination Library.
- 14 November 2018: We responsed by letter [EX/CYC/6] with an attachment [EX/CYC/6a] to Highway England’s Letter and technical note in relation to transport modelling.
- 17 September 2018: A letter [EX/CYCC/5] and technical note[EX/CYC5a] was sent from Highways England to the council in relation the transport modelling.
- 9 August 2018: We submitted an initial letter in response to the Inspectors’ letter of 25 July [EX/CYC/4].
- 25 July 2018: The Inspectors have written to the council setting out their initial observations on the soundness of the City of York Local Plan [document EX/INS/1 in the Examination Library] - please note that the Inspectors’ letter is not open for comment.
- 22 June 2018: The latest monitoring for York's housing consents and completions during year 2017-2018 [EX/CYC/3] released.
- 19 June 2018: We sent a letter in response to Natural England [EX/CYC/2] outlining further work being undertaken.
- 4 June 2018: We received a letter from Natural England [EX/CYC/1] detailing outstanding comments in relation to the Habitats Regulation Assessment (HRA).
- 25 May 2018: We recieved a letter from the Planning Inspectorate advising that in accordance with Section 20 of the Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act 2004 (as amended) Inspector Simon Berkeley (BA MA MRTPI) and Inspector Andrew McCormack (BSc(Hons) MRTPI) have been appointed to conduct the examination to determine whether the City of York Local Plan is sound.