All updates about the Local Plan Examination process, timetable and other relevant information will be made available here.
Our Local Plan Examination Programme Officer
Contact our Local Plan Examination Programme Officer, Carole Crookes (Independent Programme Officer Solutions) via email: email@example.com, telephone: 07397 909822 or write to:
Independent Programme Officer Solutions
9 Chestnut Walk
Key information for the Local Plan Examination
Inspector Simon Berkeley (BA MA MRTPI) and Inspector Andrew McCormack (BSc(Hons) MRTPI) have been appointed by the Planning Inspectorate to conduct the examination into the City of York Local Plan to determine whether it's sound.
- Local Plan Examination Library - documents, statements and other correspondence issued after submission on 25 May 2018
- Core Document and Evidence Base Library - up to 25 May 2018: documents, plans, strategies and evidence that informed the Local Plan up to submission, including Regulation 19 Consultation responses
- Local Plan Pre-Publication Draft - as available during consultation from 21 February to 4 April 2018; also view the interactive Policies map
- General information and advice from the Planning Inspectorate about Local Plans and the examination process
Examination news and updates
View correspondence and updates relating to the examination as follows:
- 5 December 2019: A number of Statements of Common Ground between the City of York Council and various parties have been added to the examination library.
- 2 December 2019: Statements which were received in paper copies by Friday have now been uploaded to the Local Plan Examination Library. Where a file refers to multiple questions within a matter the relevant section has been highlighted and saved to the specific session. The statement is saved in its entirety so that it may be seen in context. However, please do not rely on them being 100% accurate as human error may have unintentionally occurred. Please read the entire statement.
- 28 November 2019: The Inspectors have published a revised draft hearing programme (EX/INS/13) which contains participants for each session. The sessions are larger than what would be regarded as normal due to the number of people wishing to participate, therefore any changes would be very difficult to accommodate.
- 25 November 2019: In accordance with the Guidance Notes (EX/INS/8), the deadline for the receipt of paper copies of all statements relating to issues being discussed in weeks one and two must be received by the Programme Officer by midday on Friday 29 November 2019 at the latest (see above for postal address). Statements should be no longer than 3,000 words for each matter. Two paper copies (not bound) of each written statement should be sent to the Programme Officer. An electronic copy should also be provided by the deadline.
- 21 November 2019: The Inspectors have considered the comments made with regards the Matters, Issues and Questions (MIQs) and have published a response (document EX/INS/12). As a result, the Inspectors have amended the MIQs and now publish a new (and final) version (document EX/INS/11).
The Inspectors also request that parties who intend to submit Statements should make themselves aware of the changes to the referencing of some of the questions in the revised MIQs and they would appreciate use of the references as set out in the revised MIQs in their submitted Statements.
- 8 November 2019: The Inspectors’ Matters, Issues and Questions document (EX/INS/7) has been revised to correct a minor drafting error in Question 3.2 b) – the reference in the question to paragraph 138 of the Framework has been replaced by a reference to paragraph 84 of the Framework
- 8 November 2019: Following notification of the General Election to be held on 12 December 2019 the Planning Inspectorate has issued guidance stating that Local Plan examinations should proceed as planned. Therefore, the hearings into the City of York Local Plan will commence at 10.00 am on Tuesday 10 December 2019, as previously notified
- 28 October 2019: It is now confirmed that phase 1 of hearings of the City of York Local Plan will commence at 10.00am on Tuesday 10 December 2019 in the Gimcrack Room atYork Racecourse at Knavesmire Road, York YO23 1EX
For information, please note the following key dates:
- Monday 11 November, 5.00pm: Deadline for comments on the Inspectors’ matters schedule/hearings timetable (documents EX/INS/7 and EX/INS/9).
- Tuesday 19 November, 5.00pm: Deadline to confirm with the Programme Officer whether you wish to exercise the right to be heard.
- Friday 29 November, midday: Deadline for submission of statements.
- Tuesday 10 December, 10.00am: Hearing sessions open.
A note on how to get to York Racecourse is available, but this is just broad guidance. If you're attending the hearings, we advise you to check your own travel details and not rely solely on the information we've provided.
- 14 October 2019: The Inspectors have now considered all of the representations made during the consultation on the modifications, which ended on 22 July 2019. The Inspectors are now preparing for the first stage of hearings, which will address Duty to Co-operate, Green Belt and Housing Need. Provisional dates have been agreed for these initial hearings to be held on selected days over a two week period, commencing on Monday 9 December 2019 at York Racecourse. Representors will be given the required formal notice when the dates and venue have been finalised.
- 19 September 2019: The additional round of consultation closed at the end of July. All the representations made have been sent to the Inspectors who are now considering them. Copies of individual representations which were received may be viewed at: www.york.gov.uk/LocalPlanModificationsConsultation or via the Examination Library references EX/CYC/21a-d. The Council is currently looking at suitable venues and availability for the first round of hearings to be held from late November/early December 2019 onwards. No firm dates have been agreed but representors will be notified a soon as possible when they have been. I must stress that, again, these are anticipated timescales.
- 12 June 2019: In accordance with the inspectors' letter dated 7 May 2019 [EX/INS/6], on 10 June 2019, the Council published a number of documents for public consultation. The consultation period will run until midnight of 22 July 2019 and provides the opportunity for anyone to make representations on the specified documents but does not permit representation to be made on any other parts of the Local Plan. The Inspectors' letter stated that the consultation should include the following documents:
- The Council's proposed revised OAHN figure (And supporting evidence), but specifically including the Housing Needs Update by GL Hearn, dated January 2019 [EX/CYC/9], the proposed modifications schedule relating to the revised OAHN figure [EX/CYC/15], the SHLAA Figure 6 Update based on the revised OAHN figure [EX/CYC/16] and the updated Figure 5.1 and Table 5.2 Housing Trajectories based on the revised OAHN figure to 2033 [EX/CYC/17A] AND TO 2038 [EX/CYC/17b].
- The updated HRA (and supporting evidence), but specifically including the updated Annex C - 'Lower Derwent and Skipworth Common Visitor Survey' of the HRA, dated 19 February 2019 [EX/CYC/14c].
- The proposed changes to the Green Belt boundary (and supporting evidence), but specifically including the 'Addendum to Topic Paper 1 - The approach to defining York's Green Belt', dated March 2019 [EX/CYC/18] and the 'Addendum to TP1 Annex 6 - Proposed Modifications Schedule', dated March 2019 [EX/CYC/18a].
- The Council's proposed modifications to the submitted Local Plan arising from the above [EX/CYC/20].
- Infomation about the public consultation including the above, relavant supporting document and how to make a representation is available on the Council's webpage at: www.york.gov.uk/LocalPlanModificationsConsultation.
- 30 May 2019: The Council submitted a letter to the Inspector [EX CYC 19] on 21 May 2019 setting out the proposed arrangements for the Local Plan Proposed Modifications Consultation.
- 9 May 2019: The Council recieved a letter from the Inspectors [EX/INS/6]. The letter acknowledges that there has been a substantial amount of further work undertaken by the Council since the City of York Local Plan was submitted for Examination last year. As much of this new evidence is fundamental to the soundness of the Local Plan, particularly the Council's overall approach to the Green Belt and the assessed OAHN figure the Inspectors have decided that it will be necessary for further public consultation to be undertaken to allow people to comment on all of the new evidence and the proposed modifications to the Plan put forward by the Council. The consultation should be open to the general public for a period of six weeks and should be undertaken as soon as possible. Further updates will be provided on this page as information becomes available.
- 11 March 2019: A report was considered by City of York Council's Executive on 7 March 2019 [EX CYC 12] and the recommendations of the report were approved. This includes the proposed modifications to the submitted Plan as a result of the updated Habitats Regulation Assessment following completion of the visitor survey requested by Natural England. The Council are to submit a modifications schedule along with the additional evidence comprising the updated HRA and the Topic Paper 1 (Approach to York’s Greenbelt) Addendum.
- 6 March 2019: The Inspectors sent a letter to the council [EX INS 4] on 12 February 2019. The Council sent an email to the Inspectors [EX CYC 10] seeking to clarify matters in the letter. Through the Programme Officer, the Inspectors issued further clarification questions [EX INS 5]. The Council sent a note of clarification to the Inspectors [EX CYC 11] on 18 February 2019 along with four attachments: Legal Advice from John Hobson QC From LPWG [EX CYC 11a] , SHLAA Figure 6 Detailed Housing Trajectory [EX CYC 11b], LP Figure 5 1 and Table 5 2 Version 1 Housing Trajectory Extended to 2037-38 [EX CYC 11c] and LP Figure 5 1 and Table 5 2 Version 2 Detailed Housing Trajectory Extended to 37-38 [EX CYC 11d].
- 31 January 2019: The Council submitted a letter to the Inspectors [EX/CYC/8] outlining progress on the submission of additional evidence, which has been requested by the Inspectors. The council has also submitted a Housing Need Update (January 2019)[EX/CYC/9] which has been prepared by G L Hearn. The council are currently exploring the availability of suitable venues for the initial hearings and representors will be written to when the details are confirmed. Details of the hearings will also be provided on this webpage.
- 14 January 2019: An initial letter [EX/INS/3] has been sent out to everyone who made a representation at the Pre-Publication stage. The Inspectors have decided that a phased approach will be taken to the hearings and that the first phase of hearings will deal with the Duty to Cooperate, the OAN and matters relating to Green Belt principle. It is anticipated that the initial hearings will be held in March 2019. However, it is stressed that this is merely anticipated and not yet finalised. In order to assist in preparing the draft hearings programme, representors must confirm no later than Friday 25 January 2019 whether or not they wish to take part in any of the hearings (not just the first phase)
- 17 December 2018: The Inspectors have sent a letter of response (EX/INS/2) to our letter on 14 November 2018 [EX/CYC/7]. (Please note that neither of these letters are open for public comment).
- 14 November 2018: The Council submitted a response to the Inspectors letter of 25 July 2018 [EX/CYC/7]. You can view the letter of response and its attachments - Duty to Co-operate Annexes [EX/CYC/7a], Addendum to Annex 4 of IDP [EX/CYC/7b], Errata addendum to IDP [EX/CYC/7c] and Figures 5.1 and 5.2 [EX/CYC/7d] - via links in the Examination Library.
- 14 November 2018: The Council responsed by letter [EX/CYC/6] with an attachment [EX/CYC/6a] to Highway England’s Letter and technical note in relation to transport modelling.
- 17 September 2018: A letter [EX/CYCC/5] and technical note[EX/CYC5a] was sent from Highways England to the council in relation the transport modelling.
- 9 August 2018: The Council submitted an initial letter in response to the Inspectors’ letter of 25 July [EX/CYC/4].
- 25 July 2018: The Inspectors have written to the council setting out their initial observations on the soundness of the City of York Local Plan [document EX/INS/1 in the Examination Library] - please note that the Inspectors’ letter is not open for comment.
- 22 June 2018: The latest monitoring for York's housing consents and completions during year 2017-2018 [EX/CYC/3] released.
- 19 June 2018: The Council sent a letter in response to Natural England [EX/CYC/2] outlining further work being undertaken.
- 4 June 2018: The Council received a letter from Natural England [EX/CYC/1] detailing outstanding comments in relation to the Habitats Regulation Assessment (HRA).
- 25 May 2018: The Council recieved a letter from the Planning Inspectorate advising that in accordance with Section 20 of the Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act 2004 (as amended) Inspector Simon Berkeley (BA MA MRTPI) and Inspector Andrew McCormack (BSc(Hons) MRTPI) have been appointed to conduct the examination to determine whether the City of York Local Plan is sound.