All updates about the Local Plan Examination process, timetable and other relevant information will be made available below.
Our Programme Officer
Contact our Programme Officer, Carole Crookes (Independent Programme Officer Solutions) via email: York@iposolutions.online or telephone: 07397 909822.
You can also write to her at:
Independent Programme Officer Solutions, 9 Chestnut Walk, Silcoates Park, Wakefield, West Yorkshire, WF2 0TX.
Key information for the Local Plan Examination
Inspector Simon Berkeley (BA MA MRTPI) and Inspector Andrew McCormack (BSc(Hons) MRTPI) have been appointed by the Planning Inspectorate to conduct the examination into the City of York Local Plan to determine whether it is sound.
- Local Plan Examination Library - documents, statements and other correspondence issued after submission on 25 May 2018
- Core Document and Evidence Base Library - up to 25 May 2018: documents, plans, strategies and evidence that informed the Local Plan up to submission, including Regulation 19 Consultation responses.
- Local Plan Pre-Publication Draft - as available during consultation from 21 February to 4 April 2018; also view the interactive Policies map.
- General information and advice from the Planning Inspectorate about Local Plans and the examination process
Examination news and updates
Correspondence and updates relating to the examination can be viewed as follows:
- 11 March 2019: A report was considered by City of York Council's Executive on 7 March 2019 [EX CYC 12] and the recommendations of the report were approved. This includes the proposed modifications to the submitted Plan as a result of the updated Habitats Regulation Assessment following completion of the visitor survey requested by Natural England. The Council are to submit a modifications schedule along with the additional evidence comprising the updated HRA and the Topic Paper 1 (Approach to York’s Greenbelt) Addendum.
- 6 March 2019: The Inspectors sent a letter to the council [EX INS 4] on 12 February 2019. The council sent an email to the Inspectors [EX CYC 10] seeking to clarify matters in the letter. Through the Programme Officer, the Inspectors issued further clarification questions [EX INS 5]. The council sent a Note of clarification to the Inspectors [EX CYC 11] on 18 February 2019 along with four attachments: Legal Advice from John Hobson QC From LPWG [EX CYC 11a] , SHLAA Figure 6 Detailed Housing Trajectory [EX CYC 11b], LP Figure 5 1 and Table 5 2 Version 1 Housing Trajectory Extended to 2037-38 [EX CYC 11c] and LP Figure 5 1 and Table 5 2 Version 2 Detailed Housing Trajectory Extended to 37-38 [EX CYC 11d].
- 31 January 2019: The council has submitted a letter to the Inspectors [EX/CYC/8] outlining progress on the submission of additional evidence, which has been requested by the Inspectors. The council has also submitted a Housing Need Update (January 2019) [EX/CYC/9] which has been prepared by G L Hearn. The council are currently exploring the availability of suitable venues for the initial hearings and representors will be written to when the details are confirmed. Details of the hearings will also be provided on this webpage.
- 14 January 2019: An initial letter [EX/INS/3] has been sent out to everyone who made a representation at the Pre-Publication stage. The Inspectors have decided that a phased approach will be taken to the hearings and that the first phase of hearings will deal with the Duty to Cooperate, the OAN and matters relating to Green Belt principle. It is anticipated that the initial hearings will be held in March 2019. However, it is stressed that this is merely anticipated and not yet finalised. In order to assist in preparing the draft hearings programme, representors must confirm no later than Friday 25 January 2019 whether or not they wish to take part in any of the hearings (not just the first phase)
- 17 December 2018: The Inspectors have sent a letter of response (EX/INS/2) to the City of York Council’s letter to them of the 14 November 2018 [EX/CYC/7]. (Please note that neither of these letters are open for public comment)
- 14 November 2018: City of York Council have submitted a response to the Inspectors letter of 25 July 2018 [EX/CYC/7]. You can view the letter of response and its attachments - Duty to Co-operate Annexes [EX/CYC/7a], Addendum to Annex 4 of IDP [EX/CYC/7b], Errata addendum to IDP [EX/CYC/7c] and Figures 5.1 and 5.2 [EX/CYC/7d] - via links in the Examination Library.
- 14 November 2018: The council responded by letter [EX/CYC/6] with an attachment [EX/CYC/6a] to Highway England’s Letter and technical note in relation to transport modelling.
- 17 September 2018: A letter [EX/CYC/5] and technical note [EX/CYC/5a] was sent from Highways England to the council in relation the transport modelling.
- 9 August 2018: The council have submitted an initial letter in response to the Inspectors’ letter of 25 July [EX/CYC/4].
- 25 July 2018: The Inspectors have written to the council setting out their initial observations on the soundness of the City of York Local Plan [document EX/INS/1 in the Examination Library] - please note that the Inspectors’ letter is not open for comment.
- 22 June 2018: The latest monitoring for York's housing consents and completions during year 2017-2018 [EX/CYC/3] released.
- 19 June 2018: A letter was sent in response to Natural England [EX/CYC/2] outlining further work being undertaken
- 4 June 2018: A letter was received from Natural England [EX/CYC/1] detailing outstanding comments in relation to the Habitats Regulation Assessment (HRA)
- 25 May 2018: A letter was received from the Planning Inspectorate advising that in accordance with Section 20 of the Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act 2004 (as amended) Inspector Simon Berkeley (BA MA MRTPI) and Inspector Andrew McCormack (BSc(Hons) MRTPI) have been appointed to conduct the examination to determine whether the City of York Local Plan is sound