If you think you might need to apply, contact our Planning Enquiries Team to:
- tell them what you want to do
- ask for their advice
- find out which application form you need
You can then either:
- make an application online via the Planning Portal
- download and email or post the appropriate form, drawings and any documents to the Planning Submissions Team.
Paying for planning applications
Regulations to introduce a 20% increase in planning application fees were made on 20 December 2017; as a result, increased fees for planning and related applications apply from 17 January 2018 onwards.
The Regulations also introduce:
- charges for applications for planning permission following the removal of permitted development rights through Article 4 directions or by condition
- a new fee of £402 per 0.1 hectare for Permission in Principle applications
- a fee of £96 for prior approval applications to permitted development rights that were introduced in April 2015 and April 2017
Payment can be made:
- online via the Planning Portal (if you've chosen to make your application online)
- by telephone on 01904 551660 using debit/credit card
- by bank transfer - please email the Planning Enquiries Team for details
- by cheque - made out to City of York Council and sent with a covering letter to the Planning Submissions Team
Plans and maps for planning applications
Your planning application must include plans showing exactly what you're proposing, you'll need:
- a location plan at a scale of 1:1250, normally an ordnance survey plan
- a site plan showing the existing and proposed building or site and its relationship to neighbouring land. buildings, roads and footpaths at a scale of 1:200 or 1:500
- as proposed and as existing floor plans and elevations normally at 1:50 or 1:100 metric scale
Drawings need to be clear, accurate and sufficiently detailed to enable what is proposed to be understood by members of the public, consultees and us as the local planning authority.
To order and purchase copies of location plans or site plans go to Tang Hall, Acomb or York libraries, email firstname.lastname@example.org or tel: 01904 552828.