If you think you might need to apply, contact our planning enquiries team to:
- tell them what you want to do
- ask for their advice
- find out which application form you need
You can then either:
- make an application online via the Planning Portal
- download and email or post the appropriate form, drawings and any documents to the planning submissions team.
Payment can be made:
- online via the Planning Portal (if you've chosen to make your application online)
- by telephone on 01904 551660 using debit/credit card; credit card payments will incur a 2% charge
- by bank transfer - please email the planning enquiries team for details
- by cheque - made out to City of York Council and sent with a covering letter to the planning submissions team
The list of current fees and charges for planning applications, notifications and prior approval is available on the Planning Portal.
Plans and maps for planning applications
Your planning application must include plans showing exactly what you're proposing, you'll need:
- a location plan at a scale of 1:1250, normally an ordnance survey plan
- a site plan showing the existing and proposed building or site and its relationship to neighbouring land. buildings, roads and footpaths at a scale of 1:200 or 1:500
- as proposed and as existing floor plans and elevations normally at 1:50 or 1:100 metric scale
Drawings need to be clear, accurate and sufficiently detailed to enable what is proposed to be understood by members of the public, consultees and us as the local planning authority.
To order and purchase copies of location plans or site plans go to Tang Hall, Acomb or York libraries, email email@example.com or tel: 01904 552828.