You need to apply for permission to put up temporary direction signs for new developments.
View the full terms and conditions for temporary signage before making an application.
- when completed, return your application form to our Traffic Management Team
- send us a cheque for the appropriate fee (payable to 'City of York Council') with your form
- we'll contact you when we've received your application - ensure your full contact details are included
- the development must be of a minimum planned size of 30 bedrooms
- you'll need an accredited streetworks certificate in order to work on the highway to mount the signs
- a permit will be issued listing the approved signs
- you may not get permission for all signs requested
Application costs for temporary signage
The cost of sign applications depends on the number of signs requested:
- 4 signs or less: £371
- 5 to 8 signs: £433
- 9 signs or more: £494
These costs cover administration and site investigation and are payable whether your application is successful or not.
If your application is successful, an additional charge of £16 per month will be made for each sign. This charge is payable 3 months in arrears and is invoiced quarterly to the developer.
Tacit consent does not apply to applications for temporary signage for developments, because it's in the public interest that we process your application, before it can be granted.
- you cannot assume permission will be given
- we'll contact you within 10 working days to acknowledge receipt of your application
- if you've not heard from us within 10 working days, contact us to check the status of your application