You need to apply for permission to put up temporary direction signs for new developments.
Apply for temporary signage for developments
View our full terms and conditions for temporary signage before making your application.
- the development must be of a minimum planned size of 30 bedrooms
- you'll need an accredited streetworks certificate to mount the signs on the highway
- we'll issue a permit listing the approved signs
- you may not get permission for all signs requested
- return your application form to our Traffic Management Team
- send us a cheque (payable to 'City of York Council') for the appropriate fee with your form
- we'll contact you when we've received your application - make sure to include your full contact details
Application costs for temporary signage
The application cost depends on the number of signs you request:
- 4 signs or less: £371.00
- 5 to 8 signs: £433.00
- 9 signs or more: £494.00
These costs cover:
- site investigation
Costs are payable whether your application is successful or not.
If your application is successful, we'll charge an additional £16.00 per month for each sign. This charge is payable 3 months in arrears and is invoiced quarterly to the developer.
Tacit consent for temporary signage for developments
'Tacit consent' does not apply to applications for temporary signage for developments, because it's in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted.
- you can't assume we'll give permission
- we'll contact you within 10 working days to let you know we've received your application
- if you've not heard from us within 10 working days, contact us to check your application's status