We are responsible for the collection of council tax, which is a local tax on domestic properties.
The amount of council tax due at a property is based on one of eight 'valuation bands'. These bands are set out according to a property's value on 1 April 1991.
Council tax funds approximately 20% of local public services, including:
Approximately 20% of council tax is used to help fund public transport, fire and police services.
Responsibility for council tax
When determining responsibility and liability at an address we consider the following factors:
- the full tax amount assumes there are at least 2 adults living in a property
- the occupants at a property will normally be liable, as this is deemed their main residence.
- the property owner is liable when it is unoccupied
- people living alone may apply for a discount
Definition of 'main residence'
A main residence is the address which the occupants:
- consider to be their family home
- use to register on the electoral roll
- use to register at a doctor or dentist
- use to register their bank account
Some discounts are only available at a main residence.
Contact the Council Tax Team if you require more assistance.
Protecting your personal data
We're committed to protecting the information we hold about you.
See our privacy statement for information on data protection and how we share customer data.