Visiting the recycling centre
Towthorpe and Strensall Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC) is open and operating in line with current government guidance.
- if you need assistance, please ask a member of staff
- staff will be able to help carry heavy items but will not be able to unload items from inside of a vehicle
- please sort your waste before going to the HWRC to reduce the time spent on site
We continue to be busy so please consider whether your journey is necessary before setting out.
Towthorpe and Strensall HWRC opening hours
The site is closed every Wednesday.
- March: 8.30am to 5.00pm
- April to September: 8.30am to 7.00pm
- October: 8.30am to 5.00pm
- November to February: 8.30am to 4.00pm
Note: Last entry is 15 minutes before closing time. We may refuse entry if you arrive later.
We're closed on:
- Christmas Day
- Boxing Day
- New Year's Day
We're open as usual on all other Bank Holidays, but it can be very busy at these times.
Location map of Towthorpe and Strensall HWRC
Before visiting Towthorpe and Strensall HWRC, be aware that:
- we only accept 'non-chargeable' household waste (see Hazel Court HWRC for brick, rubble, gas bottles, plasterboard and asbestos disposal)
- you can't use this site for commercial waste
- there's a 1.9 metre height barrier in use at this site (use Hazel Court HWRC if your vehicle is taller)
Access to Towthorpe and Strensall HWRC
Be aware that:
- last entry is 15 minutes before closing time - if you arrive later, we may refuse you entry
- the height barrier for this site is 1.9 metres
- we don't allow pedestrian access to this site
Due to the speed that vehicles can travel along Towthorpe Moor Lane, and the potential for queueing cars wanting turn right against the oncoming traffic to access the Towthorpe HWRC, we recommend you enter the site from the A64, where possible.
Bringing hire vehicles to Towthorpe and Strensall HWRC
If you live in York and wish to visit Towthorpe and Strensall HWRC using a hire vehicle, you should bring:
- hire vehicle documents
- proof of your address and residency (for example: a utility bill with your name and address)
Note: There's no need to contact us before your visit.