GDPR Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy

Change of tenancy

Changes to a tenancy should not be undertaken lightly and have legal implications. There are several ways in which a tenancy can be changed.

Adding someone else to a tenancy

When 2 or more adults are housed together it is our policy to make all tenancies 'joint'. If you are the only tenant and want someone to join your tenancy, we will agree if they have the right to inherit your tenancy. Your rent account must be clear.

Joint tenants are equally responsible for keeping the tenancy conditions. Either joint tenant can apply for Housing Benefit.

Transferring a tenancy to someone else

If you no longer wish to, or are no longer able to live in your home, we may let you give your tenancy away to a family member. For example, if you are taken into hospital for long-term care; this is called an assignment.

Otherwise, you are only allowed to give away (assign) your tenancy to someone else if you exchange with another council tenant or following a court order after the breakdown of a relationship.

We respond to requests within 10 working days.

Inheriting a tenancy when someone has died

It may be possible for members of your family to take over your tenancy when you die. This is called a succession.

The law says that the following people have a right to inherit a tenancy:

  • a husband, wife or person living with the tenant as their partner at the time of death
  • another family member or relative including parents, grandparents, children, grandchildren, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, nephews and nieces. It also includes adopted children and step children, and people who are relatives by marriage. Any relatives wanting to inherit the tenancy must have lived with the tenant for at least 12 months before the death of the original tenant. You may be asked to prove this.

Also see

Housing Management Officer

Find contact details for your Housing Management Officer (HMO).

Find details of your HMO