Apply to place a brown tourism sign next to a highway to direct people to your business or attraction.
Read our full policy on brown tourism signs before sending your application.
After sending your application:
- we'll contact you within 21 days to let you know we've received it
- if you haven't heard from us within 21 days, contact us to check its status
- we'll send you an invoice for the total sign costs
Brown tourism sign guidelines
Before placing brown signs, you must ensure the attraction:
- is recognised by Visit England or the local authority as a tourist destination, and has all the necessary fire, health and hygiene consents
- is open for at least 150 days and has a minimum of 10,000 visitors per year
- has adequate off-street parking
Brown tourism sign costs
Brown tourism sign costs depend on the number of signs requested:
- 1 sign: £316
- 2 signs: £526
- more than 2 signs, each additional sign: £105
- charge for signs on the 'trunk network' (for example A64): £789 extra
These costs are payable whether your application is successful or not, as they cover site investigation and administration.
We'll also apply additional costs to supply and install 'approved' signs.