We can help students manage their extra waste when they move out of properties at the end of the summer term.
Take extra waste to Hazel Court HWRC
If you have extra waste that doesn’t fit into a bag or your bin (if your street has a bin collection), then it is your responsibility to dispose of it in a responsible and legal way.
Please do not leave extra bags of waste next to your bin as this will not be taken by the refuse crews.
Take extra waste and recycling to Hazel Court Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC) for disposal, free of charge.
If you use:
- a large vehicle (pick up, minibus, van or trailer), you must bring a current photographic Student Union card to avoid needing a permit
- a hire van, you must bring your hire agreement and your Student Union card
- a car, you don't need a permit
If you use a large vehicle without a Student Union card, you must apply for a free permit.
Donate your unwanted goods to the British Heart Foundation
- pairs of shoes
- small electrical items
The British Heart Foundation provide recycling banks for unwanted items in the following locations:
- Jaipur Spice car park, Haxby Road
- Londis, Penleys Grove Street
- Monk Bar car park, Lord Mayors Walk
- Corner of Kent Street and Barbican Road
- Junction of Walmgate and Navigation Road
- Corner of Garrow Hill Avenue
- Hazel Court HWRC
At York St John University, you will find recycling banks on Lord Mayor’s Walk campus and at residential sites.
At the University of York, you will find recycling banks on at each College. Off-campus, there are also recycling containers located at:
- Student Castle
- Hello Student accommodation
- The Boulevard
- Vita Students accommodation
Reusing or recycling household items
Reuse or recycle furniture or electrical items through:
- York Community Furniture Store - collect and deliver furniture and electrical items free of charge
- British Heart Foundation - collect furniture and electrical items for free
- York Freecycle - open to all York residents who wish to offer an item for free rather than throw it away
Bulky waste collections
We provide bulky waste collections of up to 10 large items per week, such as furniture and domestic appliances.
Contact Waste, Highways and Environmental Services to arrange a collection.