The Government's Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Regulations 2016 encourage house building across the country. As part of these regulations we must keep a self-build and custom-build 'register' of people interested in this type of housebuilding.
Join the self-build register
We're planning to deliver serviced plots of land for self-builders. Plots will become available throughout the city in the future.
Complete our online form if you're interested in designing, building or commissioning your own home - this will help us identify the kind of plots you need and let us keep you up to date on future developments.
To register you must be:
- over 18 years old
- a British Citizen (or citizen within the European Economic Area, or a national of Switzerland)
- an individual or group
- seeking to acquire a 'serviced plot of land' to build a house as your main residence
Create your own home
Self-build projects are:
- when someone directly organises the design and construction of their own home
- traditional 'DIY self builds'
- when you employ someone to build a home for you
Community-led projects can also be defined as 'self-build'.
Custom-build homes are where:
- you work with a developer as an individual (or group) to help deliver your own home
- an existing plot or new build house is tailored to match your individual requirements
The developer may help to find a plot, manage the construction and arrange the finance for your new home.
Group and Community Builds
Many self-builds are carried out by groups of like-minded people. This not only helps to spread the development costs but also means you can live alongside friends or people who share similar interests or needs as yourself.
Group and Community Builds require more land but we want to make them work where we can. If you are interested in creating a group build in the city, sign up to the self-build register and contact Planning and Environmental Management for further information.
Self and Custom Build development Programme
We're currently progressing various self and custom build developments in our Housing Delivery Programme. Find details of all current and upcoming opportunities for Self build and Custom build developments.
Make sure you sign up to our self-build register to receive information on future sales and developments.