Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website

Advice for independent living tenants

We want to support our tenants to live independently. As an independent living tenant, you may find the following information helpful.

Safety and security

Housing Management Officers (HMO's) may have a duplicate key or master key to your property, which they would only use in an emergency.

The HMO will have shown you how to use the community alarm system when you moved in. If you press the alarm by mistake, don't worry - just tell the operator that you are alright.


We are responsible for the repair and maintenance of your home, although this does not include your personal fixtures and fittings.

Find out how to report a repair.

Healthy Homes handyperson service

The Healthy Homes handyperson service can perform small jobs around your home if you:

  • live in the City of York area
  • are a homeowner or private tenant
  • are aged 65 years and over, or are disabled

The Healthy Homes handyperson service may be free or subsidised, depending on your circumstances.

Paying rent and bills

Depending on your income you may be able to claim benefits to assist with the cost of your rent and service charges.

You are responsible for paying your rent and your utility bills, such as electric and water.

You can pay a warden call invoice or pay a home care invoice online.

You will also require a TV Licence if you are under the age of 75. Tenants in independent living communities with support are normally subject to a Concessionary TV Licence, which should cost you £7.50 per year.

Fire safety rules

We try to keep the limitations on our residents to a minimum, but with people living together and sharing some facilities, we have to have rules about fire precautions:

  • do not ignore any alarms you hear
  • do not prop any fire doors open
  • do not interfere with (or remove) the self-closing mechanism on internal doors
  • do not use the lift in case of a fire
  • if you have or find a fire, use the fire alarm system immediately

If you have any hearing difficulties, please inform the HMO.

Ending your tenancy

You must give 28 days' notice to terminate your tenancy if you wish to move out.

If you want to move to another independent living scheme, you will need to register with North Yorkshire Home Choice as a transfer applicant.

We also operate a downsizing incentive scheme in which the council may be able to help with moving costs. Contact your HMO for more information.


If you are dissatisfied with the service you should, in the first instance, talk to your HMO; they may be able to put matters right there and then.

If you are still unhappy with the service you receive, you can contact our Customer Complaints and Feedback Team.

Also see

Housing Options

West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

Telephone: 01904 554500