Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website

Financial help if you're disabled

If you have care needs or a disability, or you’re caring for someone who does, you may be able to access benefits to help you manage the extra financial costs.

Some of these benefits you can claim are means-tested, meaning that they depend on your income or savings being at a certain level.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and Attendance Allowance

PIP is a benefit designed to help with extra financial costs that you face because of your care needs or disability, if you are aged between 16 and 64.

Attendance Allowance is a similar benefit, but for people aged over 64.

PIP and Attendance Allowance are not means-tested.

Council tax discount

You may be entitled to a council tax discount relating to your disability or care arrangements.

This benefit is not means-tested.

Universal Credit

You can claim Universal Credit if you are unable to work due to ill-health, or if you are on a low income.

Universal Credit is means tested and includes help with living costs and housing costs.

If your income and savings are low

You might also qualify for means-tested benefits to top up your income. Depending on your age and circumstances, these might include:

View more information on disability benefits.

Get benefits advice

You can check to make sure you are getting all the financial support you are entitled to by using a benefit calculator.

You can get benefits advice from local services on issues including money, debt, employment, housing and immigration. Visit Live Well York for a list of local agencies who provide this service.

Our Benefits and Contributions Advisors provide benefits advice for everyone with care needs, whether you're:

  • in your own home
  • in a care home

Note: If you spend time in hospital, your disability benefits payments may be affected.

Also see

Benefits and Contributions Advisors

West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

Telephone: 01904 552044