Fully funded brief conversations about alcohol training
Do you want to feel more confident when having brief conversations about alcohol?
Do you think that alcohol might be a factor in a patient or client’s life, but you're not sure where to signpost them to for support?
Book onto one of our free monthly Brief Conversations About Alcohol webinars, or book your team’s bespoke session now.
Limited training places are available. Contact the Health and Wellbeing Training Team to book a place, or for more information.
See more information on brief conversations about alcohol:
- Alcohol Identification Brief Advice
- Brief Conversations About Alcohol webinars
- Brief Conversations About Alcohol bespoke training
- Health Education England Alcohol IBA training
Alcohol Identification Brief Advice
The York Public Health team offer ‘Brief Conversations about Alcohol’ training to frontline workers and volunteers across York, free of charge.
This training offers an introduction or refresher on skills and information for an approach to conversations known as Alcohol Identification Brief Advice (IBA).
This type of conversation has been shown to be effective in helping people to reduce their alcohol health risk and:
- is brief, structured and often opportunistic
- helps people to identify what their drinking level means in terms of health risk
- offers brief advice to help them to reduce if relevant
Alcohol IBA conversations are short but powerful so we’re keen to make sure people have the confidence and information they need to make them happen.
We run free monthly Brief Conversations About Alcohol webinars and also offer Brief Conversations About Alcohol bespoke training.
Brief Conversations About Alcohol webinars
Our webinars cover:
- low risk drinking guidelines and understanding alcohol units
- the AUDIT questionnaire and York’s alcohol quiz and advice website, Lower My Drinking
- an introduction to skills for effective conversations about alcohol (motivational interviewing techniques)
- local services and tools for signposting to help people reduce their alcohol consumption
Our webinars are hosted on MS Teams. See more information about MS Teams and video appointments.
Upcoming training sessions are available on the following dates:
- Wednesday 25 October, 9.30am to 10.45am
- Thursday 16 November, 11.00am to 12.15pm
- Thursday 7 December, 10.00am to 11.15am
To book onto upcoming training sessions contact the Health and Wellbeing Training Team, including:
- your name
- your role and organisation
- details of which session you'd like to attend
Brief Conversations About Alcohol bespoke training
We offer bespoke sessions in which we can focus on what your team would find most helpful. We'll take into account:
- any training around alcohol your team has already had
- whether alcohol is already routinely discussed with customers, clients or patients
- realistic training length and timings and preferred type of delivery mode (face-to-face, online, or a mix of both)
To discuss bespoke training for your team contact the Health and Wellbeing Training Team.
Health Education England Alcohol IBA training
Basic online training on Alcohol IBA is also available from Health Education England, for professionals working in:
- primary care
- community pharmacy
- dental teams
More information on Health Education England Alcohol IBA training can be found on the e-Learning for Healthcare website.