Help to stop smoking
Our skilled CYC Health Trainers offer free support for all York residents to help them stop smoking.
- You are 3 times more likely to quit with help and support
- Someone who smokes 20 cigarettes a day can save over £2,500 per year if they stop smoking
- Between 2 weeks to 3 months after you stop smoking, your heart attack risk will have started to drop and your lung function will begin to improve
Our service provides courses which can support you to change your smoking behaviours, and advise you which medications to buy, if necessary.
For more information please download our leaflets and posters which are available in the CYC Health Trainers toolkit.
You can also download a CYC Health Trainer referral form.
If you think we could help you to feel happier and healthier by supporting you to stop smoking, contact the CYC Health Trainers.
Priority referrals for pregnant women or patients waiting for surgery
12 weeks' free nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) is available for pregnant women.
We also offer a voucher scheme for pregnant smokers.
Healthcare professionals can continue to refer clients to the Stop Smoking service via their surgeries, or you can self-refer by calling us.
Voucher scheme for pregnant smokers
Stopping smoking during pregnancy is one of the best things you can do for your health, and the health of your baby.
Cigarettes restrict the essential oxygen supply to your baby, so their heart has to beat harder every time you smoke.
Our stop smoking incentive scheme for pregnant women offers free nicotine replacement therapy, for both you and a significant other and up to £170 for completing the programme and becoming smoke-free.
Vouchers are available for a number of retailers, including:
- John Lewis
Contact the CYC Health Trainers for more information or to make an appointment.
Stop smoking medication
Examples of medication which can help you stop smoking:
- nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) (patches, chewing gum) can be bought at any pharmacy
- we're currently able to offer free NRT for 4 weeks, and for up to 12 weeks for pregnant women
- e-cigarettes can be brought from many retail shops and reputable outlets online
- we’re currently able to offer free e-cigarettes and e-Liquid for 4 weeks, and for up to 12 weeks for pregnant women
We look forward to helping you on your journey to becoming 'smoke free'.