You need permission to use cherry pickers, access platforms or cranes on any part of a highway including:
Your permission should be for the full duration of the works.
Read our standard terms and conditions for cherry pickers and access platforms before completing a permit application:
- application form for the use of cherry pickers or access platforms
- application form to use a crane on the highway
You should allow us 5 working days to grant permission.
Restrictions on cherry pickers, access platforms and cranes
If you're working on busy roads or in the city centre, you should do so on Sundays or outside peak hours.
In addition, you must:
- place rigid barriers to prevent pedestrians walking underneath equipment
- arrange for traffic management measures to be taken (include details with your application)
- display a copy of your licence on the vehicle, otherwise the equipment operator must keep a copy at all times
You'll need to apply for a road or lane closure if your cherry picker, crane or access platform prevents others from using the carriageway.
Cherry picker and access platform licence costs
A cherry picker or access platform licence costs:
- 1 day: £83
- 2 days or more: £156
Crane licence costs
A crane licence costs:
- up to 1 week: £156
- per additional week: £156
If we find a cherry picker or crane operating on the highway without a licence, we'll contact the hire company or contractor undertaking the works to request an application. We issue a penalty charge of £315 for an unlicensed cherry picker, access platform or crane working on the highway without authorisation. This is in addition to the cost of a permit.
We'll send you an invoice for all licence costs.
How we process your application
We require time to process and consider your application before it can be granted.
In this case:
- you can't assume permission will be given
- we'll contact you within 5 working days to acknowledge receipt of your application
You can't act as if your application has been granted if we don't respond within expected timeframes.
If you haven't heard from us within 5 working days, please contact us to check the status of your application.