Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website

Changing the name of your property

As a property owner, you can choose to name your property (within our guidelines), or apply for permission to change the existing name of a property you own.

To do this, contact the Street Naming and Numbering Team by email or post. You must include the following information:

  • your name
  • the present full address of the property
  • the new preferred name

Property naming process

When you apply to name your property we will:

  1. contact Royal Mail to see if they know of a similarly named property locally
  2. check our information systems
  3. request alternatives if there is an issue with your preferred name

If the property name is satisfactory to be registered, we will:

  1. make the update and inform you of the change
  2. send the updated name of your property to Royal Mail, the emergency services, Ordnance Survey and internal offices
  3. supply a letter of confirmation of the new full address and postcode to keep with your property deeds

Report problems

Use our online forms to report problems with existing street naming signs.

Also see

Street Naming and Numbering

West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

Telephone: 01904 551658