View the adopted Strensall with Towthorpe Neighbourhood Plan, Proposals Map and the Council’s Decision Statement regarding adoption of the Neighbourhood Plan. Paper copies of the documents are also available to view in our Customer Centre (Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 5.00pm) via appointment only. Please contact the Forward Planning Team via telephone (01904) 552255 or email email@example.com to make an appointment.
Additionally, copies are available to view at York Explore Library, Library Square, York, YO1 7DS and Strensall Library, 19 The Village, Strensall, York, YO32 5XS.
In accordance with The Neighbourhood Plan (General) Regulations 2012, this Neighbourhood Plan will be used when determining future planning applications within the identified Strensall with Towthorpe Neighbourhood Plan Area.
Find out more about:
- the background to the Strensall with Towthorpe Neighbourhood Plan
- the examination of the Strensall with Towthorpe Neighbourhood Plan
- the referendum results
- the referendum
Background to the Strensall with Towthorpe Neighbourhood Plan
In August 2015, Strensall with Towthorpe Parish Council wrote to us to formally submit the Strensall with Towthorpe Neighbourhood Plan application and boundary. People who live, work and conduct business in the area were invited to comment on the application and boundary from 16 November to 14 December 2015, as part of a four week consultation.
Strensall with Towthorpe Neighbourhood Plan application and boundary was approved at the Executive for Planning and Transport decision session on 7 January 2016. This enabled work to start on developing the neighbourhood plan for the area.
A revised application and boundary for Strensall with Towthorpe Neighbourhood Plan was submitted by Strensall with Towthorpe Parish Council to us in May 2017. As part of our role as the Local Planning Authority, we published the application and invited comments and feedback for a period of 6 weeks between Wednesday 28 March and Friday 11 May 2018 - no responses were received.
A revised application and boundary for Strensall with Towthorpe Neighbourhood Plan was approved at the Executive for Planning and Transport Decision Session on 14 June 2018.
Strensall with Towthorpe Parish Council consulted on their Pre-Submission Neighbourhood Plan from 1 July to 26 August 2019. This represented the first consultation on their draft Neighbourhood Plan setting out proposed planning policies for their designated neighbourhood area.
Strensall with Towthorpe Neighbourhood Plan Submission Consultation 2021
Strensall with Towthorpe Parish Council submitted the Submission version Strensall with Towthorpe Neighbourhood Plan and associated documents to City of York Council on 16 June 2021.
Representations received to the Submission Plan (all redacted):
- Highways England
- Private individual
- Private individual
- Earswick Parish Council
- North Yorkshire Council
- Private individual
- Historic England
- National Grid
- Taylor Wimpey
- Defence Infrastructure Organisation
- Natural England
- Private individual
Once a Neighbourhood Plan is submitted, we are required to "publicise the documents submitted on our website and in such other manner as we consider is likely to bring the proposal to the attention of people who live, work or carry on business in the neighbourhood area" to be in compliance with the Neighbourhood Planning (General) Regulations (2012, as amended).
The consultation on the submitted Strensall with Towthorpe Neighbourhood Plan documents took place between Monday 15 November 2021 and Friday 7 January 2022.
Submission Consultation documents
The following documents were consulted on through the Strensall with Towthorpe Neighbourhood Plan Submission Consultation:
- Strensall with Towthorpe Neighbourhood Plan up to 2033 - Submission version June 2021
- Strensall with Towthorpe Neighbourhood Plan 2020-2033 - Basic Conditions Statement
- Strensall with Towthorpe Neighbourhood Plan - Consultation Statement
- Strensall with Towthorpe Neighbourhood Plan - Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) Screening Determination
- Strensall with Towthorpe Neighbourhood Plan - Proposals Map
The responses received through the consultation process were collated and provided to an appointed independent Examiner as part of the Examination of the Neighbourhood Plan.
Examination of the Strensall with Towthorpe Neighbourhood Plan
Rosemary Kidd, Dip TP, MRTPI was appointed to undertake an independent Examination of the Strensall with Towthorpe Neighbourhood Plan.
Following the discussions regarding the future position of the Queen Elizabeth Barracks at the Phase 3 hearing sessions of the City of York Local Plan Examination in July 2022, the Qualifying Body and the City of York Council submitted their agreed response to the Examiners Questions on Friday 12 August.
The document and accompanying documents from the response are:
- City of York Council Response to Examiners Questions
- City of York Council Response to Neighbourhood Plan Submission Consultation
- Revised Local Green Space Assessments
Following the conclusion of the Submission Consultation on 7 January 2022, the Examination of the plan by the appointed independent Examiner, Ms. Rosemary Kidd, commenced on 5 April 2022. The Examiner’s Procedural Note was provided to the Council on 6 April 2022.
The Council, in conjunction with Strensall with Towthorpe Parish Council, has provided a response to the Procedural Note, as follows:
- Procedural Note (CYC and PC Response to Strensall with Towthorpe York Examiners Procedural Note)
- Extract from CYC Composite Modifications Schedule - April 2021 - PM70 and PM71
- Strensall with Towthorpe NDP Reg16 PC Representation Response Grid
- Strensall with Towthorpe NDP - Revised LGS Assessment
- Strensall with Towthorpe NP Community Actions Map - May 2022
- updated Proposals Maps May 2022
On Thursday 12 May, the Examiner provided the Council and Parish Council with a further list of questions and suggested revisions to the policies, for consideration by the Council and Parish Council
The Council received the Examiner’s Report into the Strensall with Towthorpe Neighbourhood Plan Thursday 13 October 2022.
The Examiner concluded: “I am satisfied that the Neighbourhood Plan meets all the statutory requirements, in particular those set out in paragraph 8(1) of schedule 4B of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 and, subject to the modifications I have identified, meets the Basic Conditions. I am pleased to recommend to City of York Council that the Strensall with Towthorpe Neighbourhood Plan should, subject to the modifications I have put forward, proceed to referendum.”
Executive – Decision Statement
Following the receipt of the Examiner’s Report, Officer’s reported the recommendations to the Council’s Local Plan Working Group and Executive. The Examiner's Report and our Decision Statement were reported to Members at Local Plan Working Group on 6 March 2023 and at Executive on 16 March 2023. Executive agreed with the officers' recommendations that the Strensall with Towthorpe Neighbourhood Plan could proceed to referendum.
Additionally, in line with the Examiner’s Recommendations, a revised SEA & HRA Screening Determination has been produced.
Following the decision to proceed to Referendum by the Council’s Executive on 16 March 2023, the Strensall with Towthorpe Neighbourhood Plan Referendum took place on 4 May 2023, in accordance with Neighbourhood Planning Regulations 2012 and in procedures which are similar to those used at local government elections.
Read the full breakdown of results of the Strensall with Towthorpe Neighbourhood Plan Referendum.
The City of York Council will now arrange an Executive meeting to formally ‘make’ the Strensall with Towthorpe Neighbourhood Plan.
On Monday 27 March 2023, the council published the Notice of Referendum.
The referendum question was:
"Do you want City of York Council to use the Neighbourhood Plan for Strensall with Towthorpe to help it decide planning applications in the neighbourhood area?"
The Referendum expenses limit that applied to the Strensall with Towthorpe Neighbourhood Plan was £2627.26. The number of people entitled to vote in the Referendum by reference to which this limit has been calculated was 4496.
The specified documents were:
- Strensall with Towthorpe Neighbourhood Plan (Referendum Version) and Proposals Map
- Examiners Report into the Neighbourhood Plan
- A Summary of Representations submitted to the Independent Examiner
- A Decision Statement by the local planning authority that the draft plan meets those basic conditions in paragraph 8(2) to Schedule 4B to the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 and complies with the provision made by or under sections 38A and 38B of the Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act 2004 (as amended)
- General Statement that sets out general information as to town and country planning including neighbourhood planning and the referendum
- Information Statement that sets out information specific to the referendum
A referendum on the Strensall with Towthorpe Neighbourhood Plan was held on Thursday 4 May 2023 in line with the Neighbourhood Planning (Referendums) Regulations 2012 as amended.