We've developed a new economic strategy following a year-long consultation with over 100 business groups, voluntary organisations, educational establishments and entrepreneurs because our ambitions for York can only be delivered when everyone works together.
Our strategy sits alongside our local planning policy and Council Plan, as well as supporting work across city boundaries through the Leeds City Region and York, North Yorkshire and East Riding Local Economic Partnerships.
York Economic Strategy 2016 to 2020
Our York Economic Strategy 2016 to 2020 sets out a clear and achievable economic vision for York and focuses on 8 essential objectives to address key challenges in the city:
- deliver the York Central Enterprise Zone
- deliver a Local Plan that supports a high value economy
- take practical steps to develop and retain talent in the city
- drive university and research-led business growth in key sectors
- lobby for investment in key transport networks
- use local business rate freedoms to drive high value growth
- make a fresh 'loud' statement on cultural and visual identity
- bring people and businesses together in creative low-cost ways
York Economic Strategy 2011 to 2015
Our previous strategy, York Economic Strategy 2011 to 2015, set out a clear economic vision for York:
"...to become an international and enterprising city, and in time, the most competitive city of its size, not only in the UK but globally, leading to increased sustainable and inclusive growth in the overall economy and jobs"
As part of this vision, our aim was for York to become a top 5 UK city economy, a top 10 European city in comparison with those of a similar size, focusing on the following 5 ambitions:
- a flexible and relevant workforce for the future
- a growing, dynamic business base competing on a global scale
- a globally connected, locally integrated knowledge base
- a world-class place for business, communities, students and visitors
- a co-ordinated and efficient approach to attracting and retaining investment in the city
Business Intelligence Hub
Customer and Corporate Services