Each address in the City of York is linked to a local school called your 'catchment school'. You have priority access to this school under their oversubscription criteria, but you are not guaranteed a place. For this reason, when applying for a school place we recommend you list up to 5 preferences, including your catchment school.
If your child's allocated place is not at your catchment school, or if you move from a catchment area, you may have less chance of being successful when applying for any younger siblings in future years.
See information on catchment areas in our Guide to School Catchment Areas.
Map of primary schools and catchment areas
Map of secondary schools and catchment areas
Address used for school applications
We're determined to prevent fraudulent applications for school places; our corporate anti-fraud team, Veritau investigates any such applications.
When applying for a school place, you must:
- only use one address
- use the address where you and your child are ordinarily resident at the time of application
- be prepared to prove you are ordinarily resident at your stated address
- provide additional information if requested, before a place can be confirmed
- check addresses against other records we hold, in accordance with our Data Protection Registration
- ask for proof of residence, tenancy (if renting), or proof of completion (if purchasing)
- request proof of council tax payment to prove residence
- ask for proof of ownership/tenancy at, and where appropriate, disposal of, a previous address
If you're aware or you suspect someone is committing fraud in this way, you should report it. We rely on members of the public reporting suspected fraud to us, and we investigate all reports we receive.
Any information you provide can be reported anonymously if you wish.