Each address in the City of York is linked to a local school - called your 'catchment school'. You have priority access to this school under their oversubscription criteria, but you are not guaranteed a place. For this reason, when applying for a school place we recommend you list up to 5 preferences, including your catchment school.
If your child's allocated place is not in at your catchment school, or if you move from a catchment area, you may have less chance of being successful when applying for any younger siblings in future years.
More information on catchment areas is available in the Guide to School Catchment Areas. Alternativley, see our maps of primary and secondary schools.
Map of primary schools and catchment areas
Map of secondary schools and catchment areas
Address used for school applications
We're determined to prevent fraudulent applications for school places.
- only use one address when applying for a school place
- must use the address at which they and child are ordinarily resident at the time of application
- are responsible for proving they are ordinarily resident at the address
- must provide additional information if requested, before places can be confirmed
- check addresses against other records we hold, in accordance with our Data Protection Registration
- ask for proof of residence, tenancy (if renting), or proof of completion (if purchasing)
- request proof of council tax payment to prove residence
- ask for proof of ownership/tenancy at a previous address