There are around 160 deaf and hearing impaired babies, children and young people in York.
The majority of deaf children and young people:
- attend mainstream schools
- use spoken language as their first language
Some children and young people use British Sign Language (BSL) as their first language.
Our Deaf and Hearing Support Team
Our Deaf and Hearing Support Team offer a wide range of support according to individual needs - we receive referrals from a range of sources.
See further information on York's Local Offer for Hearing and Visual Impairment.
Also access information on:
- Improving access to the school environment for deaf pupils
- Support for pupils with hearing impairments
- Training, support and equipment
- Useful websites for the deaf