York Economic Partnership (YEP) has worked with a cross-sector team to create a new economic strategy for York.
The new strategy has been developed following a year long consultation with over 100 business groups, voluntary organisations, educational establishments and entrepreneurs because we know that the ambitions for our city can only be delivered when everyone works together in partnership.
The strategy sits alongside our local planning policy, Council Plan and Without Walls City Strategy, as well as supporting work across city boundaries through the Leeds City Region and York, North Yorkshire and East Riding Local Economic Partnerships.
York Economic Strategy 2016 to 2020
The York Economic Strategy 2016 to 2020 sets out a clear and achievable economic vision for York and focuses on eight essential objectives to address key challenges in the city:
- deliver the York Central Enterprise Zone
- deliver a Local Plan that supports a high value economy
- take practical steps to develop and retain talent in the city
- drive university and research-led business growth in key sectors
- lobby for investment in key transport networks
- use local business rate freedoms to drive high value growth
- make a fresh loud statement on cultural and visual identity
- bring people and businesses together in creative low-cost ways
York Economic Strategy 2011 to 2015
The previous strategy, York Economic Strategy 2011 to 2015, set out a clear economic vision for York:
"...to become an international and enterprising city, and in time, the most competitive city of its size, not only in the UK but globally, leading to increased sustainable and inclusive growth in the overall economy and jobs"
As part of this vision, the aim was for York to become a top 5 UK city economy, a top 10 European city in comparison with those of a similar size and focused on the following five ambitions:
- a flexible and relevant workforce for the future
- a growing and dynamic business base competing on a global scale
- a globally connected, locally integrated knowledge base
- a world class place for business, communities, students and visitorsa co-ordinated and efficient approach to attracting and retaining investment in the city