Disability Living Allowance (DLA) was replaced by Personal Independence Payment (PIP) in 2013.
Personal Independence Payments:
- help towards some extra costs arising from your health condition or disability
- are based on how your condition affects you, not the condition itself
- are for people aged between 16 and 64
- are not 'means tested' or taxed
- are available whether you work or not
- does not affect Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)
DLA remains in place for children up to the age of 16 and those 65 years old or older on 8 April 2013.
Applying for Personal Independence Payments
When you apply for PIPs you'll have an assessment of your individual needs, this helps us give financial support to those facing the greatest challenges to living independently.
There are two parts to PIP, you'll be assessed on your:
- daily living needs
- mobility needs
These 'components' which make up your PIP can be paid at a standard or enhanced rate depending on your needs.
If you're entitled to PIP you may also be able to get other help such as:
- blue badges
- concessionary travel passes
Carers may also receive Carers Allowance if the person they care for receives DLA or PIP.
Existing DLA claimants
If you're between 16 and 64 and receive DLA you won't automatically be entitled to PIP (even if an indefinite or lifetime DLA award has been made). However, the DWP will write to you (by late 2017) to let your know when your DLA is due to end and explain how you can claim PIP, if you want to.
There is no need to contact the DWP now - they will invite you to claim PIP if:
- you tell them about changes in your care or mobility needs
- your fixed term DLA award is due to expire
- you turn 16 years old (unless special DLA rules for terminally ill people apply)
If you apply for PIP but it's not awarded, or you choose not to claim PIP, your DLA will still stop.
Existing Attendance Allowance claimants
If you get Attendance Allowance, you will not be affected by the introduction of PIP.
See the Personal Independence Payment website for more information and guidance on PIP.