You can apply to place a brown tourism sign next to a highway to direct people to your business or attraction.
Read the full policy on tourism signage before sending your application.
Once our Traffic Management Team receive your application, we'll send an invoice to the name and address provided on your form. Alternatively, you can send us a cheque (payable to 'City of York Council') with your form.
You must follow the appropriate guidelines for the placing of brown signs, which include:
- the attraction must be recognised by Visit England or the Local Authority as a tourist destination or facility, and have all the necessary consents, for example: fire, health and hygiene
- the attraction must be open for at least 150 days a year and have a minimum of 10,000 visitors per year
- adequate off-street parking must be provided
The cost of sign applications depends on the number of signs requested:
- 1 sign: £309
- 2 signs: £515
- charge for each additional sign over 2: £103
- charge for signs on the 'trunk network' (e.g. A64): £772 extra
These costs cover administration and site investigation and are payable whether your application is successful or not.
Please note that you will incur additional costs for us to supply and erect your approved signs.
- we will contact you within 21 days to acknowledge receipt of your application
- if you have not heard from us within 21 days please contact us to check the status of your application