You can apply to place a brown tourism sign next to a highway to direct people to your business or attraction.
Read the full policy on tourism signage before sending your application.
Once our Traffic Management Team receive your application, we'll send an invoice to the name and address provided on your form.
Guidelines for brown tourism signs
You must follow the guidelines for the placing of brown signs, which include:
- the attraction must be recognised by Visit England or the Local Authority as a tourist destination or facility, and have all the necessary consents, for example: fire, health and hygiene
- the attraction must be open for at least 150 days a year and have a minimum of 10,000 visitors per year
- adequate off-street parking must be provided
Cost of brown tourism signs
The cost of brown tourism sign applications depends on the number of signs requested:
- 1 sign: £316
- 2 signs: £526
- more than 2 signs, each additional sign: £105
- charge for signs on the 'trunk network' (e.g. A64): £789 extra
These costs cover administration and site investigation and are payable whether your application is successful or not.
You will incur additional costs for us to supply and install approved signs.
We'll contact you within 21 days to acknowledge receipt of your application. If you haven't heard from us within 21 days, contact us to check the status of your application.