A Housing Options Adviser may offer you further advice and support by referring you to a specialist adviser or legal representative, including:
- our benefits advisers or the turn2us website
- older persons' housing services (60+)
- a solicitor - the Legal Aid Agency provides civil legal advice
- mediation services
- domestic violence advisers such as the Independent Domestic Abuse Service (IDAS)
- the Salvation Army, who offer specialist advice and support for single people that are homeless
- Citizens Advice York (CAY) for general advice and specific housing and debt advice. CAY offers free appointments and drop-in sessions
- Advice York, who offer further general advice, on housing and other matters, in collaboration with Citizens Advice York
- mental health supported accommodation officers; they organise accommodation for people who need support with mental health and have housing issues.
- independent legal advisers or Foundation Legal’s court duty service scheme
If you are being taken to court for mortgage arrears, rent arrears or nuisance behaviour, you should contact the duty court desk or a solicitor for legal representation.