As a property owner, you can choose to name your property (within our guidelines), or apply for permission to change the existing name of a property you own.
To do this, contact the Street Naming and Numbering Team by email or post. You must include the following information:
- your name
- the present full address of the property
- the new preferred name
Property naming process
When you apply to name your property we will:
- contact Royal Mail to see if they know of a similarly named property locally
- check our information systems
- request alternatives if there is an issue with your preferred name
If the property name is satisfactory to be registered, we will:
- make the update and inform you of the change
- send the updated name of your property to Royal Mail, the emergency services, Ordnance Survey and internal offices
- supply a letter of confirmation of the new full address and postcode to keep with your property deeds
Use our online forms to report problems with existing street naming signs.